Above ground pond plumbing and filtration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm creating a new pond for my four goldfish that are outgrowing their tank. It is timber with 25mm insulation bottom and sides. The internal dimensions are 1800x1200x750mm giving 1620 litres or 356 gallons, please see the picture. I haven't purchased the liner yet.

My questions are; which is the most suitable type of pump/filter for me and what is the best way to arrange the plumbing? I would like to keep any pipework as unobtrusive as possible.

Any comments welcome.

http://s604.photobucket.com/user/beekeeper_hornet/media/Pond/IMG_8551r.jpg.html

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For a raised pond of that size, and for ease of installation/maintenance, etc., I'd lean more towards a pressure filter/UV set-up similar to the one pictured below. The basic principle, regardless of manufacturer, is the same.

Attachments

• UltraKleen pump and filter.jpg
    UltraKleen pump and filter.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Ianpond.
I don't think that insulation is necessary.
No need to make the setup more complicated than needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a raised pond of that size, and for ease of installation/maintenance, etc., I'd lean more towards a pressure filter/UV set-up similar to the one pictured below. The basic principle, regardless of manufacturer, is the same.
Thanks for that. I'll need to look for something similar available in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Ianpond.
I don't think that insulation is necessary.
No need to make the setup more complicated than needed.

Thank you for the welcome.

The insulation probably isn't strictly necessary but we have wide temperature variations at different times of the year and it should help keep the temperature more stable. (The fish are used to being pampered indoors) I'm planning on using a small heater in the winter so it should be more energy efficient with insulation.

Regarding the plumbing, is it acceptable to have the pipes going through the top of the liner using some sort of bulkhead type fittings or is that a no-no?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have a 1200 liter pond in my greenhouse that I measure the water and air temperature at all times.
You would be surprised at how slowly the water temperature changes compared to the air temperature swings. It takes many hours for the pond temperature to shift just a few degrees Celsius.
The single biggest source of heat loss to a pond is from the wind, so if you could minimize how much your pond is exposed to excess wind, your pond temperature should be quite stable.
A small heater in the winter will not affect the water temperature at all.

Regarding the plumbing, if you're going to be going through both lumber and liner, I don't think that the lumber is a stable enough material to mount a bulkhead fitting to, and if you're going through liner only, I think there would be too much flexibility to allow for a reliable seal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, it looks like I need a rethink on that. Thanks for the comments.

How do people normally hide their pipework then?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
Nice looking pond box you built.

Ask a Question