Above Ground pond covered for the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have cleaned and removed the bio filter for the winter and the pump will remain in use and will move the water just enough to prevent the surface from freezing. On extremely cold days and or nights I will bungee a tarp over the entire pond and can pull back the tarp on warm days.

Attachments

• DSCN4041.JPG
    DSCN4041.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Be careful that you don't seal it off too effectively. Gases can build up under pond covers, too just as they do under ice. In your zone, I don't think you'll have too much to worry about. In fact, if I were you I might consider putting some insulation around the sides - maybe some bales of hay or even bagged leaves. That would do more good than a cover I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Be careful that you don't seal it off too effectively. Gases can build up under pond covers, too just as they do under ice. In your zone, I don't think you'll have too much to worry about. In fact, if I were you I might consider putting some insulation around the sides - maybe some bales of hay or even bagged leaves. That would do more good than a cover I think.
Thanks, been covering it up for 18 years. Pond is lined with underlayment and Styrofoam on the sides and ground level. believe me its not sealed tight, one of the windows stays 1/2 open. Got down to -5 last year and no ice formed on the surface at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Just covered mine today. Still running water fall and filter. As temps drop I'll turn off the waterfall , the filter will be turned off once temps are cold.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was thinking the same about gases — they need a place to go.

@SandyL Where do you live?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks, been covering it up for 18 years. Pond is lined with underlayment and Styrofoam on the sides and ground level. believe me its not sealed tight, one of the windows stays 1/2 open. Got down to -5 last year and no ice formed on the surface at all.

Sounds like you've got it covered. Haha! Get it?

But it's a good reminder for others that may be considering the same approach.

Ask a Question