Accidental overfill of pond with chlorine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Came home from work to find about 25 of my 40 fish floating on the surface of my pond....they all looked dead!!! I had accidentally ran a hose into the pond all day long!!! My pump burned out about a month ago, usually I ran a 4 foot waterfall ....mass panic realized they must all have chlorine poisoning...I called up a friend and managed to scoop up all the fish put them in buckets and transport them to his small pond. I have 4 large Koi and the rest are types of gold fish. I'm so upset keep hoping they are going to come out of it...but what little I've read say the chlorine will damage their gills and they will suffocate??? My largest koi and the biggest pet I couldn't rescue :( I kept trying to scoop him from the bottom of the pond but it just made the water so cloudy I gave up after an hour....I ran to Home Depot and dumped 2 bottles of "Chlorine Remover Plus" into the pond?? Still I have nothing to aerate it with???
Any advise folks....I feel sick about this:(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
At this point, most , if not all, of the Chlorine has done its damage and dissipated. There is nothing that you need to do except remove any dead fish left in the pond. You can even begin returning the fish that you transferred. There is nothing that can be done for the injured fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the information.....waiting for it to get light out to see how my Koi is doing and hoping that the rest of the fish have not perished:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm very sorry this happened, I'm sure you're terribly upset.

Spring it a good time to improve our ponds for the coming season. If this was my pond, I'd clean up what ever is on the bottom of the pond, that made it cloudy when you tried to get your largest koi. I'd also purchase a new pump and an aerator.

I put my phone timer on, and put it in my pocket when I run the hose....I also just usually sit by the pond and enjoy it.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi
Sorry this happened
I know how you feel as it has happened to me.

Chlorine not only hurts the fish but it will also wreck havoc on your benifial bacteria.
So as you put your fish back in keep an I for Ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your accident Dilala. Unfortunately almost everyone here has had a "learning" experience at the expense of their fish so you are not alone. I don't know how big your pond is but I prefer to add buckets of dechloinated water and never use my garden hose to add water directly to my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.....tomorrow I will get my pond water tested, get a new pump ordered....and see if any of my fish survived:( I'm still sick about what happened, my friend where all my fish are recovering in his smaller pond.... texted me and said my 28 year old giant goldfish had died and 4 smaller ones ( he had given me the giant one 2 years ago) since then 11 more have died....I ran over after work and found a large multi colored goldfish floating.....came home still hoping to find my largest Koi alive...but no sign of him, I did find another large gold fish on the bottom. I guess my question is don't they all float to the top when they die?? I've found dead ones on the bottom of my pond??
This is a hard lesson to learn....I had been nurturing about 40 fish from 5 I originally had put in my pond almost 3 years ago, 4 Koi that had grown so big.....they were a constant source of joy to me, I could pet them:( I'm just still hoping for a miracle that some of them will pull through....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So sorry, very sad to lose so many fish. As others have said, many have made this mistake. I hope some survive and you can start again.

Ask a Question