Accidental pondkeeper

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking for a bit, and decided to introduce myself.

I've been gardening for a few years, since we moved into our wheelchair accessible home in 2009. I grow orchids and tomatoes and a variety of perennials, feed my birdies and otherwise enjoy the summers outdoors, putzing in my garden.

Early this spring, the old, cement two-tier water fountain that we inherited when we moved in began to disintegrate. It was situated on a two-tier cement apron in a corner of our yard. While I was pondering what to replace it with, I happened to notice some ledge stone left over from another project that was stacked up in a different corner and thought, "Hmmmmmm. Honey, wouldn't that ledge stone make a nice waterfall slash bird bath?" Pond Before.jpg

The biggest problem I could see was that the best solution would be to remove the cement apron before digging. But my DH, who does an awful lot around the house, was not likely to be willing to swing a sledge hammer to bust up and haul out that cement. So we tried to come up with a solution that would situate the "bird bath" over the cement apron.

Getting completely confused about all the parts and elements I would need, I decided to buy a "Happy Koi Pond kit", complete with pump, skimmer, filter falls, liner and underlayment. It turned out to be way more than we needed.

Pond construction 1.jpg This shows the first course of retaining wall that DH built for behind the falls.

Pond Construction 2.jpg The skimmer was the biggest surprise, as in WAY bigger than I had envisioned. We had to excavate an area to the right of the apron to put it in (it's the area with woodchips in the foreground of the before photo.) In this photo you can see part of the walkway we installed around the yard for my wheelchair. The apron butts right up to it.

Pond Construction 3.jpg We had a lot of discussion about how far above ground we could go. Here you can see the sandstone slabs we used to create the boundaries. Because I wanted to be able to see "inside" the pond from the house from my wheelchair, we couldn't go as high up as I would have liked.

Pond Construction 4.jpg The liner went over the underlayment, which we thought was important because it would be sitting on such a hard surface, not dirt.

Pond Construction 5.jpg Starting to build the falls.

Pond Construction 6.jpg Situating the water fall.

Pond Construction 7.jpg It works!

Pond Construction 8.jpg My best friend helped me with the "decorating" by helping place all the decorative rocks and plants. Then, while picking up some cat food with my DH, I said, "What do you think of putting in a couple goldfish?" We lost quite a few to a pesky raccoon until I put in the plants and we made some "caves" for the fish to hide in. They've been safe since. You can see the falls on the right has turned black from algae. That is before I learned the wonder of barley pellets.

Pond Construction 9.jpg A week after adding the barley, the black algae was gone.

I hesitate to call this a pond, because we've only got about 50 or 60 gallons in there, and the deepest part is right in front of the skimmer...the majority is only 6 inches deep, and the upper step is less than an inch.

But we have fallen in love this with pond, and have had far more enjoyment from this than the old fountain.

Those itty bitty 28-cent feeder fish are now 3 and 4 inches long. Now I'm worried about how they will survive the winter.

DH has put his foot down. No aquariums.

Reaction score
Do you think that using a pond heater would keep it from freezing? I've used a heated bird bath with good results. I know they are just cheapie fish, but they have grown nicely for me, and I would be sad to lose them.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
koshki said:
DH has put his foot down. No aquariums.
That's what I said, now I have two!

First, welcome to the forum!
Your pond looks great!
Having said that, 6 inches is too shallow, it will freeze for sure, depending on how cold it gets in MI. Now's the time to talk to DH to get the indoor aquariums ready to bring your babies in for the Winter.

Reaction score
The problem with aquariums is that the care of one will fall largely to my DH, especially cleaning up after goldfish, because it would be difficult for me to do it from my wheelchair. And where would we put it? I've already taken over the entire sunroom with my orchids. It's kind of difficult justifying the expense for $2.52 worth of fish.

The frustrating thing is, after it was all done, and we were enjoying an adult beverage by the pond one evening, my hubby said we really should have taken out the apron and dug the pond deeper. I said I didn't want to ask him to do all that work... Would he have done it? "yes, but I would have been mad about it for six months!"

So now I'm secretly hoping for some kind of failure that will force us to rebuild it. Because now he's as hooked as I am!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
A few more comments:
It would probably be a good idea of remove the stones covering the bottom of the main pond. Fish create a lot of poop and that poop will be quite difficult to remove from between those stones.

6 inches isn't really deep enough because it won't be deep enough for the fish to escape from predators, unless you create some hidey holes with PVC pipes. At that depth you could probably add some aquarium decor to make it look nice. The plants you have will help too. Fish like a more complex environment.

If you do plan to do a remake, now's the time to do it before the pond becomes too established.

My take on the dollar amount is that it isn't really about the $2.52, it's about the fish. I don't really think they will survive. I think there are a couple of options here:
1) My Petco takes fish back, don't know if all of them do, but you could bring them back there.
2) You can keep them in a temporary tank. Someone mentioned a plastic trough from Laguna, can't remember which thread it was in, but you can buy a plastic container that sits on the ground and fits into your sunroom and let them overwinter there.
Just my two cents of course, and I'm sure others will have some suggestions as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful job! Love the stone work, the water fall. The water most likely will freeze solid.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! :wave:

Your water fall turned out really nice and I enjoyed your photos.

I know it's already been said but I feel I need to say it myself. You really should not leave your fish outside in their current home all winter. Way too shallow and not enough water to survive over the winter. Goldfish are tuff but not that tuff :wink:

If you are unable to care for them maybe you can post an ad on craigslist or here on the forum. Hopefully you can find a suitable home for them that way :)

Good luck and keep us posted

Ask a Question