Adding baking soda during winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good morning everyone, i have a question about whether or not to add baking soda to pond water once a month during the winter months? I was told that i should add it every month. Also the pond water is about 4 inches low, i guess because of lack of rain or snow this season, do i need to add water or just let it for awhile? Thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi cinder
Only add baking soda if your pond water tests low for KH.
Keep your pond topped up during the winter, a lot of water can be lost to evaporation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We're in the same cold snap @cinder - I'd hate to think of you out there trying to add ANYTHING to your pond in this weather. Although sadly, you do need to add water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info i will have to top it off, but i don't think it will hurt to wait until saturday to add the water, one other question i was thinking of attaching a hose to my slop sink in the house, do i just run cold water into the pond? And do i also add the dechlorinator to the water? Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Cold water is fine and if you know you need dechlor then you definitely want to add it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all your help, 1 other question, half of the pond has a coat of ice over it when i add water will it just fill over the top of that even though its frozen, will it matter? Sorry if my question seems silly, but I've never had to add water in the winter, guess I've been lucky. So i want to make sure i know what to expect.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That should not hurt, I have put water into my deck ponds, it just fills below the ice and any water above the ice freezes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Won’t matter a bit. And we have a day or two of “warm” weather headed our way, so it may just melt that layer of ice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL. You guys make me laugh. But i added the water yesterday and it did freeze on top, but its a little warmer today so it is melting a little, the hole in tbe ice is bigger. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I know its not much warmer but it is!! Have a great day everyone.

Ask a Question