Adding a betta to aquarium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am debating on whether I can add a betta to my 29gal aquarium. It is currently housing 1 angelfish, 1 pleco, 2 paradise gouramis and 3 freshwater crabs.
Note that all of these fish are currently fairly small(pleco being the largest at around 4" long) and that the pleco will be removed once it gets too large.
Would one male betta be ok?
Feel free to suggest other fish that could add more coloration to my tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When I had indoor aquariums, angelfish and gourami were always kind of nippy. I'm guessing that those beautiful, flowing fins on the betta would be too much temptation. But others may know better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
As a cichlid, angels are aggressive and will nip fins.
Both the angelfish and pleco should be moved to another larger aquarium.
The gouramis and the betta would not get along together.
Gouramis only or bettas only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
Just in case you were wondering about my setup here are images of the tank and each fish currently living in it.
Other than the nipping on the angelfish when I got my first three fish all there is is the occasional chase of the female gourami by the male gourami otherwise everybody has settled in as a peaceful community and there has been no more fin nipping by anybody.
There are also many unseen hides in each of the structures.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The gouramis are going to be re-homed tomorrow and I plan on replacing them with a school of peaceful tetras. What would you think of that setup with a betta? The pleco will be removed once it gets too big but the angelfish will stay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have had bettas in with gourmi. I had gourmi, Bala and rainbow sharks, and added in the betta. I had no issues. I think it comes diwn to if you have a good mix of peaceful fish or not. I moved the betta when the others got noticeably bigger than him. I have heard angles are nippy, but I’ve never had them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This isn't about the fish, but I was just wondering if there was a reason you don't have your tank filled all the way to the top?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was mainly to give the crabs a place to get out of the water but I recently added more substrate to raise the tall rock so now the water level is very close to the top. Also has anyone had success housing a betta with a cichlid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After my anglefish got killed by one of the crabs all the fish in my tank including my female betta seem to have accepted the pleco as the alpha of the tank. Does anyone know what will happen if the pleco is removed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Chaos. They may fight if there are two close to being dominant, or not. It’s all up to the fish.

Ask a Question