Adding fish to a frog-dominated pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Never had koi eat frogs, maybe the tadpoles, not much though as pond is loaded with little Juvie frogs. My pond is loaded with both koi and frogs, they ignore each other, now the snakes that come by are a different story.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Never had koi eat frogs,

I think that's the more common experience, but we did have a member (haven't seen her around in a while...) who had two koi who would literally suck the insides out of frogs and leave the shell floating in her pond. So if they get the idea in their heads they may just do it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Koi definitely eat frogs once big enough. The frogs will hang out in the bog and leave the pond alone once the koi show their interest in them as food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think it's similar to the whole debate of 'can bullfrogs coexist with other frogs in a pond', it comes down to the individual, whether frog or fish. I, too, have never seen one of my koi eat, or even pay any remote attention to the multitude of frogs that are in my pond. Does that mean it doesn't happen with other koi in other ponds? No, just - not my personal experience. My bullfrogs also don't seem to drive the green & other frogs away, but (as numerous others have posted) it certainly can & does happen. There are so many variables in a pond, it's pretty hard to come up with 'absolutes'. Even in the same pond, things change & are different from year to year. That's one of the things that make it most interesting, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Frog eating frog, koi eating frog or frog eating koi, bullfrog or green frog.... it's all size relevant in the pond. The bigger sized one eats the smaller stuff. You just have to be big enough. At some point a bull frog is too big for the koi to eat, assuming it survives long enough. The green frog has no hope vs. koi. They dont grow big enough to survive long term.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m sure some koi will eat frogs or whatever fits in there mouth, Ime in the 30 years of keeping ponds I have not had koi eat a frog. Some of my koi in my first pond where over 30” and could easily suck down frogs, but didn’t. Even my current pond has koi over 20” and a catfish in it near 30”. My pond is loaded with little green/bull frogs. Catfish doesn’t eat anything living, eats nothing but pellets, ignores everything else. So to say green frogs have no hope in a pond with large koi is a generalization. Just like saying plants can’t be kept in a koi pond because they will destroy all the plants, another falsehood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, maybe, but I've still never seen my koi (even the larger ones) making any attempt to chase down or eat a frog of any size, and I have numerous resident frogs of both types, as well as the ones that come & go seasonally.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just happy the pond is doing OK and the current residents are happy. Hopefully the minnows don't inhibit next spring's egg layers from returning (wood, tree, chorus, Blanchard's? etc.)

I've gone out late at night and sat, and the green frogs will hop around on the banks in the grass, almost as if they are playing while looking for food. If moving slow enough with a light, they'll be sitting in random spots, sometimes grouped near one another. It's funny as it's like walking in on them at some awkward moment or something. Even cooler is recognizing many of the larger ones by sight. Zero regrets!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Excavated a new pond last year in my back yard. Shaped like a kidney bean, but roughly 25' x 35'. Roughly 2 to 3 feet in shallow end depending on current water level, and around 10 feet on deep end where pump is. Entire pond has stacked, hand-placed "601" b, c, and d limestone rocks, ranging from 6" to 24", with some being even larger. Floor and walls are stacked. Ground is clay. Pump is in a 4' x 4' pocket/sump in bottom of deep end (about 12' deep) and is still clay in pocket.

Few frogs late last year, but now have a male green frog (female too) resident and numerous Gray frogs with Cope's variants, Mountain Chorus, Tree Frogs, etc. (whatever is local, they've appeared minus bullfrogs). At night during breeding, I've probably had over 20 sets of frog eyes watching from the gaps in the rock stackings which they seem to love, and the dominant males call out from Lilly pads, nearby trees, rock outcroppings, etc., all night. Tadpoles were in the upper hundreds but have been thinning out as I'm guessing the green frogs are eating them. Largest tadpoles are just now growing tiny back legs.

Anyhow, noticed snails have been introduced (guessing eggs or snail hitched a ride on a migrating frog) and have lots of diving beetles, a water striders, etc.. No mosquitoes nor larva since having pump run 24/7 to recirc. and dump on surface, mimicking a small water fountain feature.

Currently only recirculating water from a 4500 gph pump back to surface via 2" pvc to provide oxygen. Water is fairly clear until heavy rains. Have 55 gallon food-grade drums I'll convert into a filter for pump soon.

I would like to add a few fish to keep the snails in check (once filter is finished) and help keep floor clean. But don't want to add fish that'll hinder the frog population or cause an imbalance. Currently LOVE seeing all these frogs hanging out, but definitely need some bottom dwellers and maybe something like fathead minnows too.

In Northern OH and weather is all over the map nowadays, but low teens in winter is common and rarely sub zero. 10' deep section won't freeze, but need a hardy fish. Idea is to run pump 24/7 365 and possibly snake some heat tape into drum and insulate exterior.

Ideas on fish? Would LOVE bigger fish but don't want to ruin frog's hook up spots nor scare them from leaving tadpoles. So small fish and bottom dwellers. If smaller fish get eaten on occasion, not concerned. Photo was after a rain. Have vids of frogs but loo large to upload atm.
Hi, I have a smaller pond than you do and this year I have too many goldfish. These are all from last summer, so they are not babies. They are about 3 to 4 inches and very healthy. I always bring some inside for the winter but I can't bring so many of them in this year. Would you still be interested in some? I would like to give away around 20 or more. Let me know if you're interested. I live in Inver Grove Heights. Susan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a smaller pond than you do and this year I have too many goldfish. These are all from last summer, so they are not babies. They are about 3 to 4 inches and very healthy. I always bring some inside for the winter but I can't bring so many of them in this year. Would you still be interested in some? I would like to give away around 20 or more. Let me know if you're interested. I live in Inver Grove Heights. Susan

Your best bet is probably to list them on Craigslist under the "Farm and Garden" or "General" listing. Be SURE to use "goldfish" "fish" and "pond" and maybe sneak the word "aquarium" in the posting (I forget if Craigslist allows you to add them separately while creating the post or not), so anyone using the search feature on Craigslist can find your listing (people with ponds or aquariums, looking for fish or goldfish, etc.). Take 3 to 5 (or more) pics and do not upload blurry ones. If you feed them, try taking pics during a feeding. If too sunny out, grab an umbrella or something and have the sun at your back. If you know exactly what type they are, add it to the listing.

I wouldn't give them away as that can bring all sorts out. Maybe ask a few dollars each or whatever you'd like for them. Ask too much and people won't bother.

Follow those tips and hopefully someone would be interested in them.

Ask a Question