Adding new water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi! Im new here and a newb with fish ponds. I’ve learned a lot and been lerking for a while now. I have restored my fathers old cement fish pond with a 2.5’ waterfall. I think the pond is 400 gallons and I use an all in one pondMax SF1000 which is supposed to do a good job. Time will tell :). Every few days the water level goes down about 1-2” but I’m still tweaking the water fall to keep it from watering the nearby plants. If I have to add an inch or more of water can I put the declorinator in the pond and then add the water from the hose? What’s the best way? I only have a 12 gallon bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 16

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I just add the chlorine remover to the pond where the hose is flowing in, no need for the bucket.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When it's only a few inches of water, I don't add anything to the pond, besides the water of course. Just did that a few minutes ago. Our dogs love pond water over water in their bowls so they are constantly drinking it down. I've been adding water in those ponds for a long, long time and haven't seen any fish die or even getting sick. I personally think it important to have a nice, large sack of bio-balls in the filtering system to keep the water eco system at optimal levels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We haven't used de-chlor in our pond in years. We just did a minor clean out and removed/added about 25% of the water with no issues.

Knowing your water source is important, though... some municipalities add a lot of chlorine/chloramines to the water; ours does not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks like our Phosphate runs a bit high from the tap. Is there something I should do about it. I forgot the number but on the API scale it runs level 2-3.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like our Phosphate runs a bit high from the tap. Is there something I should do about it. I forgot the number but on the API scale it runs level 2-3.
Mostly try to avoid using it as much as possible, I'd say. Collect rainwater for water changes and top-off.

Ask a Question