water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fishylove said:
Addy I see youre up :) You can't sleep either? Or do you always get up this early?
I am usually awake around 430-5 honey goes to work around that time. When I worked always went to work early. I have never been a night person, even have fallen asleep on dates in the long past lol. and the pup gets up around 5am and wants to go out.
We don't stay up at night, asleep or trying to sleep around 9ish.

Love the mornings.

Don't try and start the wildflowers in pots to move in the spring, they don't like being moved. I do have seeds in big flowers pots on the deck, they do fine there, but do not like to be moved at all.
Or start them in those pots that you plant, fiber type things, that way you don't mess with their roots.

Neat website! Thanks for posting it, going to read up on bugs.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 8a/b
Country
Germany
Wow, thanks for these links, I will be reading them when I have time, have them bookmarked now....

I have found this site: http://www.saatkontor.de/ I think it looks pretty comprehensive and even has iris and watercress seeds too!

So here is stupid question of the day:

Would you eat Watercress that you grew in your pond? Would it be ok to wash in salt water and then eat?? I LOVE watercress, and this might be a useful cover for the pond, as we can eat it, and I can keep propagating it from seed! Cool, if possible!

We will also have a salad/veg patch up and running next year, but it is only small. Might look at just getting a little greenhouse instead and also growing veggies in pots on the terrace....

Oh, so many ideas and plans! Must try to just get the important stuff done, before I am totally at a loss!

Was thinking of mulching the flower bed that I will uncover for the wild flowers, with some lawn cuttings, as we have a lot of that around here.... would that be a good idea? I head that is quite good for weed murdering...

I am loving this forum! Thank you so much for being so lovely and interesting and supportive! :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The "normal" flower gardens do fine with mulch once the plants are growing. The wildflower ones need bare dirt to get the seeds to sprout. You can mulch, then uncover or turn the mulch in before you sow the seeds, but if you sow the seeds then mulch, the seeds will not grow.

I grow a veg garden every summer, this year it is not doing too good, our temps have been all over, hot, cold, wet, dry. Next year..........lol

Reaction score
You can use DRY grass clippings to "murder" weeds. Lol. Just, as addy has said, till under the new flower beds in the spring before you sow the seed.
Yes you can eat water cress from your pond :) I would be sure to wash it well before you eat it though, be cause of the bacteria in the pond. I Use this Recipe to clean my fruits and veggies, especially my fruit, because I spray my fruit trees in the spring to ward off fungus and such. Anyway lol. Use the ingredients below to make a spray.

1 organic lemon
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 spray bottle
1 cup tap water
You can Spray hard fruits and veggies, rinse and repeat! :LOL: No really, spray and rinse twice and you're good to go.

Soft fruits and veggies I don't spray them till I'm ready to eat them. Hope this helps ya! :)

Ask a Question