Additional Filtration Question

Reaction score
Hi, I have looked around on this site for several months and have a questions regarding the Docs filter. My pond is approximately 1300 gallons and I have a UV pressure filter now. The pond receives total sunlight all day and this pressure filter can not keep up. I want to add another filter but the more i read the more confused I become. I will include a picture but I am hoping to add a 55 gallon drum filter but would like to locate it behind a fence approximately 5 or 6 feet away from the waterfall. Should I keep the UV filter and add the 55 gallon Drum filter. Should the 2 filters be connected? And does the 55 gallon drum filter need to feed my waterfall? Im not even sure of the questions I should be asking at this point haha. Ill include a pic and hopefully someone can guide me with any filtration ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 367
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 339

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would leave the pressure filter for sure for now, You'll want to keep it running for at least 6 weeks after the addition of the new filter to allow it to take over and maintain the pond. after that I think i would modify it so it doesn't clog as much but still filters out course particulates and let it run the uv because the uv will work better with the slower rate. You will need more flow rate probably thru the new filter, You can go back to the water fall or just return to the pond directly, If you choose to do that I recommend putting a 45 or 90 on the end of the return line and turn it so it makes a circle pattern in the pond and keeps the water moving. running it behind the fence shouldn't be much of a issue but you do need to make sure that the output on the filter is higher than the end of the pipe returning to the pond, this is easy to do by raising the drum onto a stand and it will allow you to install a drain directly on the bottom for easy cleaning.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I will give the stock tank filter a shot. I assume i would just build the filter behind my waterfall and adjust the height as necessary to allow the weir to spill out on to the uppermost level of the waterfall.

Where is the best place to purchase the rubbermaid stock tank?

Thanks again and I am sure i will have more questions to follow

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
You can go back to the water fall or just return to the pond directly, If you choose to do that I recommend putting a 45 or 90 on the end of the return line and turn it so it makes a circle pattern in the pond and keeps the water moving.

+1 on that. Makes all the difference in the world in my pond. I have a mostly round pond and had an above ground pipe return, a bit like a waterfall. When I added some GH+ to the water, I saw what really happened; water falls down ( I guess thats why call it a water fall lol), almost straight towards the center and bottom of the pond, right where the pump is.

Now I circulate the pond with the returns of my filter. Its much better. THe bottom gets "scraped" by the flow and all the dirt assembles at the bottom center where its pumped up. It also allows floating debris to collect in a few spots where I can scoop it up. The result is much cleaner pond. All it took was a few 90 elbows.

One more thing though; you have very few plants from what I can see. If your problem is algea, a filter will do little to stop that. Add some more plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ponds and plants go together and it does help with the green water they both fight for the nutrients.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
racerx1119 said:
Thank you for the replies. I will give the stock tank filter a shot. Where is the best place to purchase the rubbermaid stock tank?
TSC tractor supply company is where i got mine...some one here got one at ACE hardware.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
TSC tractor supply company is where i got mine...some one here got one at ACE hardware.

we have a few places that sell them around here, tractor supply here is the cheapest and they will even deliver it for free here if you ask. don't know if they all will do that but I thought that was cool considering the size wouldn't fit in a car and at the time I didn't have a truck.

Reaction score
I was able to find the rubbermaid tubs online at tractor supply. Thanks Again. As I continue to lay the filter out in my mind i decided to add a few pics and once i can get the lay out ill hopefully be able to build this filter with no problems.

As i first mentioned. Here is the possible lay out if i would put the 55 gallon drum filter behind the fence. Does this picture look correct?

As Koiguy suggested it may be way easier if i could put the stocktank behind the waterfall. I am not sure if I will be able to hide it there. I am also worried about the V Shape in the back of the waterfall getting in the way of the stocktank or weir. I have pulled off the top rock of the waterfall and included a picture to see if anyone would foresee a problem with putting the stocktank behind the waterfall.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 315
  • pondb.jpg
    pondb.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 296
  • pondd.jpg
    pondd.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 335

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Without putting my hands on it, this is a guess. It looks like you could put the tank to the down side of the rock(sort of where the tank is), have the weir off set at one end of the tank. The weir could be made to fit the angles you need to make a nice water fall

Reaction score
As i continue to lay this out something obvious just hit me...i think anyway haha

Is there any difference between building a skippy style filter using a 70 gal stock tank and using a 55gallon drum? I can get a plastic drum for free and the rubbermaid stock tanks are at least $70.00.

I apologize if i am annoying anyone with stupid questions. I am definitely a visual learner so reading posts and articles takes me more time than the average joe lol.

Thanks again to everyone!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just the size more than anything. And with a stock tank you could have more plants on top of it to help with filtering.

Reaction score
Ok awsome thanks!

I think I have an understanding of how both filters work. Now I just need to decide on the best placement for the filter. Im using the flex tubing now so Im worried about hiding the pvc piping from the pump to the filter and the filter to the waterfall.

Also I assume the pump inside of the pond will pump the water via pvc to the filter (Barrel or stocktank). Then as the barrel or tank would overflow the water will flow out of the outlet pipe you create and flow back into the pond or waterfall; however you set it up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the stocktank is just lower profile and that makes it so much easier to hide. it can go at ponds edge like mine,and is the waterfall basin...when the tops full of plants you cant even see it...if your remotely locating the filter it doesnt really matter tho!
you cant do this with a barrel: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2230&d=1270234288 the center of the waterfall mound is the filter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
racerx1119 said:
Ok awsome thanks!

Also I assume the pump inside of the pond will pump the water via pvc to the filter (Barrel or stocktank). Then as the barrel or tank would overflow the water will flow out of the outlet pipe you create and flow back into the pond or waterfall; however you set it up.

You assume right!

Ask a Question