Additional holes during warmer days?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
My pond has some thick ice on it now. The bubbler held it off for a while but now its completely frozen over with just the pond breather running. I noticed that my area will be seeing some mild weather this week ( a few degrees above 0 C), I was thinking of opening a hole in the ice and run the bubbler for a few days. I have a raised pond with 50% of the water volume being above ground, as this is my first winter with the pond I am a bit concerned that it may freeze completely solid like one giant ice cube. I have two theories and I would like some other experience pond owners two coppers on this.

Since the ice is now acting like an insulator for the warmer water below;

A - would I be allowing more heat to escape and therefore be contributing to more ice thickness if I open another hole? Should I just leave it all closed up and let the breather do its job?

B - Or would opening a hole in the ice and allowing a bubbler to aerate the water for a few days be more beneficial for the fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Opening a hole in the ice will cool the pond further.
Your breather should be enough, but being an above ground pond in your climate, it could freeze solid.
It depends on how cold it gets for you this winter.

Ask a Question