55 gallon Drum Filtration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I can get 55 gallon drums from a car wash company. The drums will have soap residue. I plan on using the drums for filtration. I will rinse the drums in an attempt to get rid of the soap. Do you think using these drums pose a threat to the pond?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can you find out what they drums are made of?
I know from my reefkeeping days to keep the plastic from leaching substances it is best to use food grade containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Can you find out what they drums are made of?
I know from my reefkeeping days to keep the plastic from leaching substances it is best to use food grade containers.
I can check the containers labels. I can get food grade drums from another source for $15-20. The car wash drums are free but I don’t want to pay later if it causes issues for the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I bought a food grade drum, paid $30 for it. It also has a lid ....top of the line - eh :) ha !

I do know a koi keeper that says she used drums from a car wash, but I felt better with the food grade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I bought a food grade drum, paid $30 for it. It also has a lid ....top of the line - eh :) ha !

I do know a koi keeper that says she used drums from a car wash, but I felt better with the food grade.
My gut tells go food grade and don't risk the pond over $20.

Reaction score
I don't think the soap drums pose a problem, I use them to haul water for my farm animals, store rain water, whatever is needed. I will be using one for a pond filter in the near future.

I don't fully agree with the leeching theories either. If the contained chemicals were able to leech in to the plastic, that means they are degrading the structure of the plastic. If that was happening, eventually the container would spring a leak or crack. We have plastic dispenser containers here at work that have been in service for 15yrs with strong acids/caustic solutions and they do not leak.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been using a soap container 55 gal, for a sort of filter for my 1000 gallon pond. I made a sort of skippy to clean the water a bit before it went through the smaller pond since it was getting dirty water from the big pond.

The container has been in use for over 6 years, no issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Some plastics have plasticizers to keep the plastic flexible enough to prevent breakage.
Plasticizers have been shown to be harmful to microscopic life forms.
Food grade plastic (HDPE) is the way to go, if you have a choice.

Ask a Question