Advice needed - water levels decreasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all some advice and help would be most greatful.
I have a pond that's 7yrd old, 7ft by 6ft and about 3ft deep at lowest level.
I have a pump, filter and waterfull.
The pond has various plants and some goldfish.
For the past 3 days my pond has been decreasing water around 4inches lost per day.
The first day I turned the pump and water fall off. Checked for any signs of leaks - couldn't find any but kept it off for 24hours - water still drained.
The second day I checked for holes in liner, I couldn't find any - so refilled ... next morning pond still went down 3inches ..
The following day I then bought a new liner - took forever to sort pond out yesterday. Feeling confident I filled up the pond, turned pump & filter back on - relaxed ... awoke to another 4inches lost.
Maybe it's the plants - so I have taken them mint out and within 12hrs it has lost another 2inches ..
Is this really evapartion ?? Yes we have had hot 3 days in Lincolnshire 22degrees but that's a lot of water lost due to heat ??? Any ideas would be helpful x thank you all in advance x blessings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 222

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Leak will be where the water stops dropping .looks like a newer liner sure it is not a hose .I had mice chew one of my hoses and even when pump was off it leaked a little

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leak will be where the water stops dropping .looks like a newer liner sure it is not a hose .I had mice chew one of my hoses and even when pump was off it leaked a little

Oh dear to mice chewing ya hose! Thank you for this , I bought a new liner and fitted that yesterday "water still decreasing " I am totally boggled....I haven't seen any evidence of rodents, I'll have a check to see if hose is leaking..thankyou x

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you are experiencing the same rate of water loss with a new liner as you did with the old it may be a low spot somewhere around the perimeter of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did notice a couple of dips near the waterfall but if you turned everything off and still loosing water could it be a plant wicking water out over the edge ..When you first put the new liner in was it loosing water and how long has the new liner been in.I do notice plants hanging over the edge of the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Or a siphoning effect with the tubing. I've made the mistake of leaving a tubing out when I was draining the pond and after I turned off the pump.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but [and I learned about it on here] you can put out a bucket of water, close to the pond [so it has the same environment] and monitor the water level in the bucket for 24 hours or so. If it's heat, wind, & evaporation, the water in the bucket will match what's going on in your pond. You'd be surprised how much water can be lost into the air like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome salam , thats mystery im still thinking lol , only thing i can suspect is dog too sisy

4 inch is too much for evaporation , remove any object that is dipped inthe water while in contact with the soil etc

check for wet spots , specially behind waterfall and filter

Last edited:

Ask a Question