Kelcho64

Kelly
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10
Country
United States
Howdy from Texas.

I am not new to ponds but have only had a 100 gallon container pond for the last eight years. I just purchased a 700 gallon poly stock tank and I have been gathering equipment for the last year In order to have everything ready for transition to a larger pond.

So the equipment I have is the stock tank, two 1100 gph pumps (can be used either submersible or not), an Atlantic Water Gardens skimmer, an Atlantic Water Gardens bog/waterfall filter, an in-line Laguna Power Clear UV sterilizer & two large six valve aerators. I also am ordering a float valve & two in-line water hose charcoal filters for auto top off (With 90+ degree temperatures in the Houston area, losing a couple of inches of water a day is not uncommon).

I also have quite a few plants. Three water lilies, a lotus, a large palm, parrots feather, two taro & various others.
My question is this;

If I put my pump in the skimmer (Water running in the top, through Matala to the pump), run through the UV Sterilizer to the bog/waterfall filter with bio balls will I need additional filtration for 700 gallons?

I do have the materials to build a 30 gallon barrel filter if I need it.

Attachments

• CB0B8C1D-92D5-4E43-AE67-5D168A60EB8D.png
    CB0B8C1D-92D5-4E43-AE67-5D168A60EB8D.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 1A5EC01F-0829-4D75-B970-302EA781DA52.jpeg
    1A5EC01F-0829-4D75-B970-302EA781DA52.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 162
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a good plan. you shouldn't need any more filtration the only thing that I would suggest is. I have an 800 gallon pond And I always make sure I rotate my Water 2 and 1/2 x the size of water volume. The more that you rotate water the cleaner it stays .my pond is 3 ft deep 8 by 9 ft 800 gallons and it's clear to the bottom can see every Rock. I use a bog with a intake Bay that skims the surface it takes a thousand gallon an hour of pond water from skimming the surface to the deposits the debris then to the bottom of a pump Vault and pumped threw the bog. I also have a thousand gallon an hour pump for my waterfall close to bottom that's on the other end. I rotate water two and a half times an hour by using two 1000 gallon per hour pumps. make sure that your bog is at least one-third of the surface of your pond for good filtration and at least 12 inches deep. Good luck happy ponding.

Ask a Question