Need advice for the planned pond

Paul W. Foster

Novice First Class
Reaction score
So, life got crazy and I am finally getting ready to start my pond. My plan is for a 6'x11'x5' deep rectangle pond. (approx. 2800 gal) 3' in the ground and then framed with rr ties for the top two feet. lined with a 45 mil epdm liner. I already have a 3500 gph inline pump and I am planning on a built bog, approx. 22 ' long x 2' wide x 1.5 ft deep wrapped along the back and side of the pond. It will be elevated so that it drains back into the pond at the end of the bog with a 1' high waterfall.

my questions are:

Is that size bog big enough for the pond I am planning?
Do I need a Sand and Gravel filter before the bog to clear solids ?
If so how many of the 55 gal drum filters would I need?

also looking for any advice on possible problems or better layouts that I may have over looked.

Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• pond.pdf
    9.2 KB · Views: 171
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m not awake enough to do math, but a rough rule of thumb is 1/3- 1/2 the area surface of the pond should be the size of the bog. Addy is the bog master, she can advise more. Welcome though, you’ve found the right place to come learn and chat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I'm new at ponding myself, but this forum is so helpful! I'm thinking of doing a pond with a bog also. If you go to the construction section of the forum, Addy has a wonderful thread - all about DIY bogs. I still have to finish going through it all, but I've learned a lot already!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have any pre-filter on my bog. I do draw the water about a foot off the bottom of the pond so I don't draw in bottom debris.
Over the years of filtering with only the bog, bottom debris is at a minimal.
I don't have any other filtration.

Approximate measures:
My bog is 27 x 4 feet and deep, sort of got carried away digging.
My pond is 27 x 20 (varies) deepest is 5.5 feet deep.

Ask a Question