Age Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are most certainly worst places on the internet for this young man to be

I agree to that! I would encourage you @TheFishGuy to remind other posters of your age from time to time - it's a good lesson for all of us to remember that we have no idea who we're talking to online. And I don't want to say that your age limits your knowledge, but it would definitely speak to your experience, which might be helpful for others to know when you are responding to posts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you follow the rules that everyone else follows, I don't see any reason you can't post, as long as your parents are happy with it. My only thought is that as you are relatively new to ponding and learning fast, that you are cautious when giving advice. I'm sure you'll learn lots by being here, but there's no requirement to try and answer everything if you're not 100% sure on the answer. I will do some reading up just to make sure of the law here in the UK.

I also joined forums at a young age, and one of the things I remember is that I often tried to help when I wasn't experienced enough in the answer. Other members would get frustrated, as they must have thought I was an adult and didn't know I was much younger and trying my best - I soon learned it was good to ask questions and learn from others, then I was in a better position to help other people in time. You're going to learn lots about ponds very quick and you're in a place where lots of people will want to advise and help you where possible.

However, as you're on the web and we're treating you just like any other member, it does mean that I can't give you a free pass for things like advertising your own pond forum at the bottom of many of the posts you make (I've just gone through and edited them to remove it). I would normally bad someone for adding links promoting their own forum to the bottom of their posts. I know you're fairly new to the internet and forums though, so I'm sure you didn't intend this :).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To add my usual input. To be fair to others who may be dumping several thousand dollars on there pond build. I know i would appreciate under your avatar ja simple note of "age 12 ", From what i have seen your advice has been straight on and respectful . People will see from your words that fish may be a very knowledgeable aspect for you , but none the less that little note would make people i would think confirm your advice before they spend there budgets.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
As long as you follow the rules that everyone else follows, I don't see any reason you can't post, as long as your parents are happy with it. My only thought is that as you are relatively new to ponding and learning fast, that you are cautious when giving advice. I'm sure you'll learn lots by being here, but there's no requirement to try and answer everything if you're not 100% sure on the answer. I will do some reading up just to make sure of the law here in the UK.

I also joined forums at a young age, and one of the things I remember is that I often tried to help when I wasn't experienced enough in the answer. Other members would get frustrated, as they must have thought I was an adult and didn't know I was much younger and trying my best - I soon learned it was good to ask questions and learn from others, then I was in a better position to help other people in time. You're going to learn lots about ponds very quick and you're in a place where lots of people will want to advise and help you where possible.

However, as you're on the web and we're treating you just like any other member, it does mean that I can't give you a free pass for things like advertising your own pond forum at the bottom of many of the posts you make (I've just gone through and edited them to remove it). I would normally bad someone for adding links promoting their own forum to the bottom of their posts. I know you're fairly new to the internet and forums though, so I'm sure you didn't intend this :).
thank you for the reply, and thank you so much for letting me continue to post, I will definitely keep in mind being cautious about giving advice. I have most definitely tried to post in some topics I wasnt experienced in, and that ended up not going so great for me. thank you for the feedback about promoting my own, I was really just messing around with wix cause I got so many adds, and have since deleted the website, to go and make something different, again, just to mess around with website creators :)

I would also Like to thank @Mmathis for your help already :) it has been very insightful, and you touched on a lot of the same points as @Ian :)

( also, how do I add a note to my profile? )

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
To add my usual input. To be fair to others who may be dumping several thousand dollars on there pond build. I know i would appreciate under your avatar ja simple note of "age 12 ", From what i have seen your advice has been straight on and respectful . People will see from your words that fish may be a very knowledgeable aspect for you , but none the less that little note would make people i would think confirm your advice before they spend there budgets.
Would be happy to do that :) How do I add a note?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is one way. if you click on your name on the title bar toward the right there is a drop down that says signature that will appear at the bottom of the post similar to mine below this post My pond build is a 12,000 Gallon, Three bogs, a Natural flow, a up flow pea stone and a up flow Snorkel and centipede with aquablocks bog . Three ponds and a 25 foot stream, with a 2500 gallon underground cistern https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Here is one way. if you click on your name on the title bar toward the right there is a drop down that says signature that will appear at the bottom of the post similar to mine below this post My pond build is a 12,000 Gallon, Three bogs, a Natural flow, a up flow pea stone and a up flow Snorkel and centipede with aquablocks bog . Three ponds and a 25 foot stream, with a 2500 gallon underground cistern https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/
Thanks! I just edited it :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With that i think you have given more upfront info then anyone could expect from online.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job, see if you can make it bold and a bit bigger. Maybe even say BTW I am Age 12
ADDY i believe that he can't do that it is probably a footer note where IAN SET THE FONT COLOR AND SIZE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ok now im regretting the help i had a perfect response to Mmathis and her responce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question