Pond drainage and sides support.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the stage of having inserted the pond into the hole.
Need advice on best way to ensure drainage during any heavy rain on a preformed pond.
image.jpg
Also as the pond is to be slightly above ground(1bricks worth) wondering if I should lay bricks around the edges and concrete around the Rigid liner between that and bricks to provide edge support as the top of liner will be stoned.ie
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For my pond I just have a stack of rocks , a slightly lower edge the excess water just flows out. The rocks keep the fish etc from flowing out with the water.

Make sure all the edges are supported. We have freezing here, my two preforms (now gone) both cracked even with having total support. I pulled the perform dug deeper and put in liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I just have one side of mine marginally lower than the other and good drainage on that side (I dug out and laid down stone so it drains really quick, this stone is economical and works well for drainage purposes around the pond: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50-lb-All-Purpose-Gravel-115150/100318444). It's edged with rocks, nothing flows out but water since the water can seep around the rocks quicker than it can overflow over them. I didn't put anything between the rocks I used to wedge my edges up, I just wedged them under there where needed to get the level right. I did use round river rocks and not bricks, though, so there shouldn't be any sharp edges to worry about:
large-river-rock-hand.jpg
Maybe just knock the sharp edges off your bricks with a rock like shown above (knapp them a bit)? For fill, round gravel or sand, I used a little of both depending on where I needed what. Sand is good because you can pour it in and then flow some water into the hole to make it settle in where it's needed. I fill my liner to the very top, so no way to get an overflow bulkhead cut into it above the water line. I think most people using preforms just angle them a little lower on one corner or lip and let it overflow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many many thanks very useful. Will get sand thank you. And yes we have river rocks too and luckily a lower side by a few mm, so will drain to this area.

Ask a Question