All my fish are dying...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I have no waterfall, but my mechanical filter (polyester batting and sponges) is running. I don't ever remember the system losing that much water at the same time last year. And last year we got almost 3 months with no rain from January to March.

I definitely am thinking buying a kiddie pool and transfer the water + plants and whatever is left of the fish that are still alive. Even thinking further, I could fill half the pond with gravel, and on top of that build a rectangular pond with bricks, half the depth (1 foot instead of 2) and use underlayment and liner.

I have a feeling if I just patch the area, it will leak somewhere else.

I guess such is life... nothing goes by the plan. :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have no waterfall, but my mechanical filter (polyester batting and sponges) is running. I don't ever remember the system losing that much water at the same time last year. And last year we got almost 3 months with no rain from January to March.

I definitely am thinking buying a kiddie pool and transfer the water + plants and whatever is left of the fish that are still alive. Even thinking further, I could fill half the pond with gravel, and on top of that build a rectangular pond with bricks, half the depth (1 foot instead of 2) and use underlayment and liner.

I have a feeling if I just patch the area, it will leak somewhere else.

I guess such is life... nothing goes by the plan. :rolleyes:
If you do that then I think you are gonna have way too many fish for that size of pond. Can you not just put a bigger liner in and keep the volume the same?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
If you do that then I think you are gonna have way too many fish for that size of pond. Can you not just put a bigger liner in and keep the volume the same?

Well, I had 30 fish before. Now, I only see a few. Will probably have to restock. Putting underlayment and liner within the existing concrete structure is an option too.

One issue I have with this pond is the depth, 2 feet. It's a real struggle to get the water lilies containers out for repotting and what not. So if I reduce the volume, less fish is fine too, if I can get clear water and easier maintenance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well, I had 30 fish before. Now, I only see a few. Will probably have to restock. Putting underlayment and liner within the existing concrete structure is an option too.

One issue I have with this pond is the depth, 2 feet. It's a real struggle to get the water lilies containers out for repotting and what not. So if I reduce the volume, less fish is fine too, if I can get clear water and easier maintenance.
You can attach ropes to the lily containers as some do here and makes it much easier to lift out. I would not reduce the volume if it were me but that is for sure your choice. With less depth the fish are more apt to be bothered by the water heating up if you ever get hot weather. When deeper they can go down under to stay cooler.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
You can attach ropes to the lily containers as some do here and makes it much easier to lift out. I would not reduce the volume if it were me but that is for sure your choice. With less depth the fish are more apt to be bothered by the water heating up if you ever get hot weather. When deeper they can go down under to stay cooler.
All good points.

So simplest option, drain and transfer the whole thing to temporary pool. Install underlayment, liner inside concrete pond, partial refill to stretch the underlayment/liner, secure underlayment and liner with tapcons to the edge of the pond. and back in business.

And with that if the liner fails, I can patch it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All good points.

So simplest option, drain and transfer the whole thing to temporary pool. Install underlayment, liner inside concrete pond, partial refill to stretch the underlayment/liner, secure underlayment and liner with tapcons to the edge of the pond. and back in business.

And with that if the liner fails, I can patch it.
Just make sure to get a very durable type of pond liner 45 mil EPDM or they do make other kinds but I have never used anything but the EPDM of 45 or greater. I got a 60 mil EPDMfor my first small pond and it was great but thicker and harder to hide the folds. That one I got at a roofing company, was cheaper than from the pond stores and very strong. Still using it today in a frog pond I made. Got my last bigger liner for my newer pond from an Irrigation company 45 mil EPDM and it is what I still am using for over 15 yrs now. It was cheaper also than the pond stores. So maybe compare prices calling roofing co's and Irrigation co's near you. We just drove our truck and they cut the liner from big rolls and put it in the truck for us. Went home and installed it. Liners should not fail unless you get a thin one or you accidentally puncture a hole in it and that is kinda hard to do w/a really strong one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Ugh, since couple of weeks, every day I catch a few dead fish at the surface. No expensive fancy koi thankfully, but the pond was bristling with life before that, including lots of newborn.

Should I test the water? Since the rains have stopped here I have started again topping off the pond with a hose, same as every year and wasn't a problem before.

One change I noticed is the water became suddenly completely clear, I can see all the way through the bottom (2 feet deep). Maybe the algae are dying and the fish have nothing to eat? The remaining fish appear lethargic and spend hours being stationary.

Any ideas? :cry:
Top up pond from hose, all of a sudden water becomes crystal clear, algae gone. Sounds like you need to test the water in your hose for Chlorine, or something. If you are using city/county water, I would hazard to guess that they have increased the chlorine for some reason or other. If on a well, mabe the ground water has become contaminated some how. Are you near any farming operations? If so, what crops are growing/being planted just now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I would not reduce the volume if it were me but that is for sure your choice
Well I could reduce the volume a bit but not the depth in that case.

Pond losing 3/4" a day now - definitely not normal. If I transfer the plants to a temp pool do I still need a filter (without fish)?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well I could reduce the volume a bit but not the depth in that case.

Pond losing 3/4" a day now - definitely not normal. If I transfer the plants to a temp pool do I still need a filter (without fish)?
How far down from the top is it now? Yes you can keep plants in a tub w/o filter. If you take the fish out now and the plants too you should still allow the water to go down on its own so you can see where it stops.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmm, the water level is about 3 inches from the top at this point.

EDIT: I refill every couple of days.
Don't refill, let it go down till it stops so you can check around the line where it stops for holes or tears. Course like I said if it looks like it is going to get too close to the bottom than you will need to remove fish to see how far it goes down. If the problem is on the bottom, might just get a new liner. Patching may or may not work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Yah, no many fish left :( I am refilling until I get the temporary pool (which should arrive shortly). Then I'll transfer all the plants to the pool and any fish that is left.

Now I don't have much trust in the existing concrete cavity at all (at least walls are developing cracks). So my plan is build a block pond within that cavity and install geotextile underlayment + 45 mil liner. New structure would be 560 gallons maximum, 2 feet deep.

Basic question is, does this plan hold water? I was thinking:
- lay the concrete blocks directly on top of gravel
- dry stack the blocks, use PL adhesive
- use vertical rebar and fill blocks with concrete
- use horizontal rebar on top layer

Putting liner directly in the existing pond would be a problem as one long side is completely taken by the bog fountain and there would be no room to attach the liner. With this somewhat smaller new pond structure, I can install coping and also use a wooden board I can step onto for maintenance.

1682530876952.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wind and sun really make you loose water . look how much water I have lost in just 3 weeks . It has been windy and spitters are not helping but the help add air to the pond . which fish love . The spitters are in my waterfall pond and there are 4 of them . In first pic you can see top line where water should be . I keep hoping for rain but it has passed by me 3 times

Attachments

• DSC05054.JPG
    DSC05054.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03159.JPG
    DSC03159.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Right, water is lost to evaporation, understood. Last year though, we had scorching temps of 109F in September, and I don't remember that I was nowhere close to refilling the thing every 2 days. I was refilling twice a week at most, and during the earlier part of the year, once a week was all it took.

What you are losing in 3 weeks here, I lose in a few days now (close to 1 inch / day).

And, there is a crack forming on the edge of the pond anyway :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would do the underlayment and liner right over the existing. Your existing is only 2 feet deep. That's not that deep.
Seems like a lot of work to build up the bottom and one foot seems a bit shallow. But of course, that is up to you.

For your pots that are sitting on the bottom, you can attach heavy wire to them, sort of like the handle on a standard compound bucket. Then you can use a pole to lift them up and out.

Ask a Question