All my fish are dying...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Well, the temp pool is in. All plants transferred. Phew. Pool hasn't lost much water at all in a couple of days while the level in the pond continues dropping.

Still thinking my next move. The problem is that the edges made of pavers are not level. Ideally, I'd like to build a new inner wall with bricks and that will allow for a nice and level coping. Big concrete bricks appear cheaper than the usual red bricks but require filling with a lot of grout and rebar. Maybe I can find someone redoing their driveway and donating the bricks to me...

IMG_0158.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, the temp pool is in. All plants transferred. Phew. Pool hasn't lost much water at all in a couple of days while the level in the pond continues dropping.

Still thinking my next move. The problem is that the edges made of pavers are not level. Ideally, I'd like to build a new inner wall with bricks and that will allow for a nice and level coping. Big concrete bricks appear cheaper than the usual red bricks but require filling with a lot of grout and rebar. Maybe I can find someone redoing their driveway and donating the bricks to me...

View attachment 157324
I just bought 4x8x16 for 2.28 at Home Depot they are really a good size. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
That's one possibility - in this case, you would need mortar. That would be 6 layers if placing them horizontally. If vertically, the walls would be only 4" wide and 3 layers would reach 2 feet that I need.

I was eyeing the 6 x 8 x 16 at Home Depot (not bad at $2.59), that would be fewer layers (3 in my case, for total height of 24"). I was also considering dry stacking the bricks then using surface bond concrete on the sides. A technique that is not so popular but supposedly requires less work. Top layer could be 6 x 8 x 16 bond beam block with horizontal rebar to add a bit of strength. Maybe fill the top layer only with concrete and in the middle of each side, add a vertical rebar and fill a column with concrete around that rebar.

I am thinking scrapping the "refill with gravel" nonsense and instead start the blocks from the bottom of the existing pit.

Now, if only I can catch the last remaining 3 fish before I drain the pond. Maybe draining a lot more will make it easier to catch them :cautious:

1684815361604.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Well ok, masonry work is done :cautious: - minor cleanup and smoothing cracks aside.

The bottom of the pond is uneven though, one side is 2" deeper than the other. I see the following options:

1) calculate folding of the underlayment / liner based on the deeper side, and there will be some folds

2) fill bottom of pond with some 3/4" crushed that I happened to have and level that, then put underlayment and liner on top

What would be preferred?

Thanks!
CG

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well ok, masonry work is done :cautious: - minor cleanup and smoothing cracks aside.

The bottom of the pond is uneven though, one side is 2" deeper than the other. I see the following options:

1) calculate folding of the underlayment / liner based on the deeper side, and there will be some folds

2) fill bottom of pond with some 3/4" crushed that I happened to have and level that, then put underlayment and liner on top

What would be preferred?

Thanks!
CG
Not sure why you need crushed gravel under it all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WITH A CONCRETE bottom i would simply placee a non woven needle punch fabric in layers if you cant find 8 oz or simple sand would do i would also round all the corners so that the rubber . if not tight i n the corners it has a round surface to keep it from stretching

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep if you need anything to level it make it something soft, not hard and rocky.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So yeah sand seems like a good option, and I have plenty of that left over from a previous project.
On top of sand, underlayment and then EPDM 45 mil liner.
Thanks!
CG
One thing tho, why does the bottom need to be level? I don't have a concrete pond, just a dug pond w/underlayment and liner. The real concern for me was if it was level around the top edge not the bottom. The bottom of a dug pond can be deeper and lower all over if you choose. I would think for a concrete pond it would be the same but maybe I am missing something?
If so clue me in :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
One thing tho, why does the bottom need to be level? I don't have a concrete pond, just a dug pond w/underlayment and liner. The real concern for me was if it was level around the top edge not the bottom. The bottom of a dug pond can be deeper and lower all over if you choose. I would think for a concrete pond it would be the same but maybe I am missing something?
If so clue me in :smuggrin:

Yeah I am worried about neatly folding the underlayment and the liner and not getting extra folds at the bottom. With a level bottom it's a lot easier.

Folding goes something like this (shamelessly borrowed from some Youtube video):

1694539945911.png

1694540052768.png

My concrete bottom is not level and it will make it harder to do these folds. Or maybe I am obsessing too much about it...

Idea #23: throw crush gravel, level more or less, pour dry mortar on top, rake with a broom and sprinkle some water on it :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeah I am worried about neatly folding the underlayment and the liner and not getting extra folds at the bottom. With a level bottom it's a lot easier.

Folding goes something like this (shamelessly borrowed from some Youtube video):

View attachment 160414

View attachment 160415

My concrete bottom is not level and it will make it harder to do these folds. Or maybe I am obsessing too much about it...

Idea #23: throw crush gravel, level more or less, pour dry mortar on top, rake with a broom and sprinkle some water on it :)
Ok but I just wouldn't use gravel, I'd use sand if you think you must level it. Sounds like you want it to be firm and not move at all tho. I suppose it would work but I don't know as like I said before I'm no expert on concrete :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Ok but I just wouldn't use gravel, I'd use sand if you think you must level it. Sounds like you want it to be firm and not move at all tho. I suppose it would work but I don't know as like I said before I'm no expert on concrete :)

Just a matter of amount of materials. I have > 1 cubic yard of gravel but not as much sand.

So either gravel + sand on top or gravel + mortar...

I am no concrete expert anyway, however the concrete bottom appears to be in solid condition, no cracks at all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe obsessing a bit. I had a irregular bottom, liner not epdm, stiffer material, folds happened, down the road don't even see them.

Ask a Question