AMAZING MUST SEE PHOTO!

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
500lbs of rock & cement blocks removed from my all rock pond after the cleanout. Hope ye all like it?? :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 505

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Awww...thought it would please the die hard bare bottom liner people at this forum :)

So now it's your guys turn, add some darn rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

Give and take?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Warm 3 month winters in BC western Canada weather is like much of USA, so just call him a yanke doodle dandy :razz:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
500# of removing rock and cleaning does NOT look like any fun at all. I love my rocks, all 19 TONS that I have brought in and hand set 75% of. Move them ONE time and where they land is pretty much were they stay. Finally got a new flagstone installer so Maybe, just possibly, cross our fingers, no black cats, knock on wood all that stuff, we can have a flag stone patio by the first of the year? LOL I just can't get in and out of my pond cleaning rocks, It would probably take 2-3 tons to completely cover to the point of not seeing any liner. I'll have to enjoy yours and use my rocks for the walkways, patio, waterfalls and flower beds. But if you really like rocks wait until you see the two I got coming in the near future. A friend gave me a 750# green white and goldish metal looking rock, the metal is only in a few spots like tiny veins, but it's really cool, Just trying to figure out how to get from his back yard and get it out to a trailer. The second will be the biggest rock on the property. A whopping #3000 Monstor. My boss is letting me have it for four Saturday days pay. LOL, so I'll have to work a full month for a single rock! LOL, Thank goodness I only work for him 9-3 on Saturdays. 24 hours of changing water in his ponds, cleaning filters, doing some water test and selling a few items, does sound better than a months worth of work. :LOL:

Reaction score
OMG Larkin, too funny! Hubby has a buddy that has a huge pile of rocks sitting in his yard (when I say huge, I am gonna guess a tractor trailer sized load)... ya know those PERFECT rocks for securing a liner kind of perfect LOL... he keeps asking about our old pickup... he wants the engine, but the rest of the truck just wont die...

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow big rocks you will have Larkin.

Forever the rock bottom people have said "number 1 mistake made was to show any liner". Now I have gaps everywhere after dumping that pile. But I don't care. Have just one layer now at bottom instead of 2 -3 layers. Still looks great and liner is protected from any heron visits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rocks and ponds do not make good bed partners you are never able to clean them propperly or in and around then to much detritus can pla havoc with your water perameters as well as harnour some nasty stuff all harmful to your fish
Its better to clear your pond of them .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Rocks and ponds do not make good bed partners you are never able to clean them propperly or in and around then to much detritus can pla havoc with your water perameters as well as harnour some nasty stuff all harmful to your fish

That depends entirely on your setup. I have large river rocks stacked around the edges of my pond. I have minnows and weather loaches who make their homes in those rocks, and keep them well cleaned. The bottom of my pond is covered in sand... When dead plants and leaves start to pile up, I just take a net with larger holes and scoop up a pile of sand. The sand falls out of the net, and the leaves get taken out. A bare liner is not an absolute necessity if the additions serve a purpose and you stock your pond with these features in mind.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

rgrds

Dave

I think I haved proved you wrong, rocks can be cleaned up properly if done correctly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We ourselves have a bottom drain and in the UK koi world and formal pond setting are not used for the reasons I previously posted if you have a rockbottom pond then kudos to you but it is a fact that the gaps left by the pebbles can and do harbour many things nasty thats why I posted.
I have yet to understand The American love for pebbled ponds .
Why make things harder on yourselves when trying to clean the pond which you cannot do properly unless the rocks are removed for cleaning .
A green bottom to a pond looks just as natural you are garenteed the bottom drain takes care of any detritus fish poo etc by seperating it off in the vortex ready to be flushed away to drain .
Can you say 100% cross your heart that your pond is spotlessly clean ready for the run up to winter leaving nothing nasty that can attack your fish ?
We can .................

rgrds

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think most American Ponders hate rocked ponds on bottom, check the forum.

I can say that after the cleanout, the pond is 85% clean. Rocks don't have to be removed. Where I live the liner does not algae up, this could also be due to the 11,400 gal/hr pumps, 10,000 gal/hr skimmer boxes and the 10,000 gal/hr waterfall filters with tons of bio pads and bacteria culture material.

Ask a Question