Amazing, no ice on pond at all yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a winter so far, amazing temps. No ice at all on the pond. The fish are actually still looking for food, which I ended early November. I actually have some new growth here and there. I just cut everything back today. Fishies are loving it. I know it will end but I will take it for now. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, using just a water pump (no air pumps) for simple moving water and good water circulation has kept ice away for me thus far (on my dinky little 440gal pond), but my area only had one string of 3 days or so of air temperatures never reaching above freezing until everything warmed up a few days later in the week.

Now, the next few days will be interesting... Right now temp is 27*F, 60mph gusts, 45mph constant wind speeds and just gonna keep on getting colder and windier the next few days...

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KDHT&state=TX

Supposedly all of the weather fronts are converging to make a good show of Mother Nature. :( Bring it on Mother Nature!! :finger::whistle::D

For anyone interested, Pond Breathers (such as this API one) are excellent devices and less electricity to use rather than floating pond deicers as long as your pond is deep enough to use one. I had to cut the bottom pipe a bit to make this fit in my shallow pond. Keep in mind, due to how these function, they can get clogged.

However, I do not rely on the pond breather and I still use a 1500watt floating deicer at the base of my aquascape basalt column rock fountains that I keep running during Winter and the basalt rock makes some neat ice sculptures if the weather gets could enough. If I didn't use a floating deicer at the base of this fountain, then the ice sheet on top of my little pond gets humongous and takes forever to melt.

Quick cautionary note about floating de-icers if you have hard water... Clean them once a month if they have been in the pond... Mine gets an incredibly thick scale buildup causing the heater coil to eventually get too hot and bust thus tripping my GFCI. I just soak it in white vinegar over night and gently scrub the coils. I do it whenever there is enough ice thawed that I can pull out the de-icer... sometimes, I can't always do it... Always dedicate a GFCI to any de-icer or water heater so that, if it trips, then your water pumps continue to function.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond lilies are still growing, grass needs mowed, bog plants green and growing. Bees inhaling sugar my friends put on our hives, they think it is summer, but no food out there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had ice, but many days without it. I took the pump out a month ago when we were getting snow, but I definitely could've kept it in.

Things are changing now, at least for the next week. Cold weather is starting tomorrow. A couple days might not even get up to 20°F! A few chances for light snow, too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Winter finally came Christmas eve and it was down to about minus 21 Celsius. That is still pretty mild compared to out usual minus 40 below which we usually get by now so not complaining!
20151226_134705.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just shut the waterfall off yesterday since our nice weather is about to change into winter mode....darnit I was hoping it wasn't going to find us, but there is a thin layer of ice on half of the pond now today. We did put the deicer in today so it's on the ready (hopefully it still works!) for tonight/tmrw and this weeks cold temps in the teens and 20's. Brrrrrrrr

Attachments

• chirstmas 2015 and yard frost 054.JPG
    chirstmas 2015 and yard frost 054.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 204

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen is that ice I see on your pond at 21c the same temperature my Canadian friend has problems with ?

Dave
yes, some of the lower connecting ponds have quite a bit of ice right now, but with the water always flowing like a creek the gases that build up are expelled more effectively and oxygen is also replenished better. Trouble is most people have only one level to their ponds and then there is no water flowing out, which is the problem, cause then the water gets stagnated and without filtration during the winter, water quality drops off. My four ponds are all connected and they flow from top to bottom. This way with constant flowing water the ice is much less thick and the flowing water creates much more natural breathing holes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My winter has begun this week...

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
We had our first artic blast with a couple nights below freezing and days right around freezing. But the temps are going to progressively get to mid 50's by Sunday . After two rough winters for our region seems like winter is in stall mode. Christmas through New Years we were in 50's and 60's. Some of Lily's have pads at waters surface .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Today is the first morning this winter I've had to scrape ice from my car wind-screen.
In retrospect, it was so thin and soft I think the wiper blades could have handled it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had nice... Now it's gone again. But cold is coming tomorrow along with snow. What a winter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
2 years ago the pond ice was 2 feet thick, last year a little over 12 inches.
This year so far I've measured 10 inches.
We have snow, but not enough to require plowing the driveway yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Out west we have been having a beautifully average winter. Temps are what they should be and snow is typical. Our pond iced over on Christmas and will probably thaw for the season within the next few weeks.

I hear the eastern half of the country is unusually warm. Sounds like us last year, while the east was getting hammered we were in the 50's all of January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hello CJH from Pershore UK...and everyone else too. No ice yet here in Staffs Moorlands, not that I'm aware of anyway, just bucket loads of rain, everywhere is awash. December was the wettest and warmest on record. My fish are still active and mostly at the top levels of the pond, water plants still green and healthy, roses in flower and my lawns all need cutting! The lawn tractor/snowplough hasn't turned a cog this winter, we only saw a handful of snowflakes in early Dec.

Ask a Question