anchoring rocks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i placed my rocks around the pond today
on one side their butted against the patio slabs and on the other there overlapping the liner
the problem is they keep falling in to the water because the weight is over the water
how do i over come this problem as there not set in concrete yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i havent posted a photo yet im waiting for the reveal when its finished
i cant go biger as there butted against the patio slabs which is a problem
i know its possible to go bigger and cut the patio to suit ,but its on a section of patio thats only 2slabs ft by 3 slabs and is a part of a thoroughfare to the back of the yard where the wheelie bins are housed and they only fit barely ,so space is at a premium

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I'm afraid I won't be much help. Other than suggest a different type of edge. But this is a preform, correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I usually stack large heavy ones on top of them stepped back away from the water (on the land) to counter balance. And I lay them in a brick fashion. That is they sit on the seam of the lower stones. Think of a brick wall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
yes its a preform and level with the gradient and yes i know your not supposed to rest the trimming rocks over the plastic
but its so much nicer with out the plastic being seen, hence the over lapping .
so i have about 4 inchs of earth between the liner and patio edge
the rocks will bring it above floor level which i dont mind as it stops run off,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
just a thought on this, could i drill a small hole in the rock pour some cement into the ground/ earth below
and put a iron bar down through it while the cement is wet ?would that work do you think ?
just a thought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
I usually stack large heavy ones on top of them stepped back away from the water (on the land) to counter balance. And I lay them in a brick fashion. That is they sit on the seam of the lower stones. Think of a brick wall.
yes i will do that on the other sides as theres plenty of room for an anchor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
heres my edge problem i know its not the best picture
so working from left to right
water then shelf then overhanging rock s on waterside with about 4"of earth and rim of pond beneath , and cut (hammered and chisled) to fit on the space on the patio sideso i cant anchor them ,any ideas before i get the drill out and cement

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
heres the problem rocks by day how would expanding foam hold this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pick up the rock and spray the foam then put the rock down onto the foam.Then spray between them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
Pick up the rock and spray the foam then put the rock down onto the foam.Then spray between them.
thanks for the replies i will try it out soon ,just one thing though, is it a special type of expansion foam, do you have any recommended brands ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Expansion foam will only hold for so long. It does dry out and start to break apart eventually, especially if it's exposed to sunlight. We're set to re-foam some areas of our waterfall and bog this weekend. And if those rocks are pulling on the foam at all, it won't hold.

Ask a Question