Rocks on bottom of pond or not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
What is your opinion of placing rocks and gravel on the sides and bottom of your pond? Right now we just have a few rocks that have fallen in but I'm trying to decide whether to add more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some here have rocks and some don't, I will just say I don't except like TM said around the top and on the short ledge below that. I like to be able to stick my long poled net in there every once in awhile and scoop out gunk that collects on the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to have river stones on the bottom but now I only have them where the plants are and the bottom of the fish pond stays nice and clean

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My pond is fully rocked - big boulder walls and a shallow layer of gravel on the bottom. As an eco-pond enthusiast, I'm of the opinion that the gravel provides extra surface area to be colonized by bacteria. But it's certainly your choice. I'm just happy we've gotten to the point where people can admit the have a rocked pond without being accused of building a killer pond. haha!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 Even I don’t get as freaked out now as I used to just because there is “gunk” down there (though mine’s not rocked). You have been an inspiration!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
What is your opinion of placing rocks and gravel on the sides and bottom of your pond? Right now we just have a few rocks that have fallen in but I'm trying to decide whether to add more.
I apologize, I didn't see all the other posts concerning this! I may put in a Koi cave with rock and have a few stones on the bottom but NOT totally rock in my ponds. I think it's one particular company that lives and breathes rocking in ponds but they also do maintenance on the ponds every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since my pond is built on a hillside and limited room ....I had to go with elevated pond ....it is on ground level at the waterfall then as the grade went down I built it up with decorative blocks......that being said.....I put river rock about four foot out from the waterfall then let the liner do it's thing......it turned from black to a lovely shade of green.....which is algae.....the poo and any other things gravitate down the hill to the main drain and disappears.....depends on how you look at it I gave away 47 baby Koi last year.....they survived because of the four foot of river rock......so far this year I have not seen any spawning activity or any babies and I hope I don't.....lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's one particular company that lives and breathes rocking in ponds but they also do maintenance on the ponds every year.

I think you would find that many pond builders believe in building eco-system ponds - or what some people call Aquascape-style ponds. Maybe that's the company you mean that "lives and breathes" rocking in ponds. They've built lots of ponds that way and have a proven track record. But it took years and years of success for people to RELUCTANTLY agree that it works. On other forums you would get booed off for mentioning rocks in your pond, eco-ponds or Aquascape. This is a much friendlier forum where people realize there's more than one way to build and maintain a pond.

And many, many pond companies encourage annual clean outs - it's kind of the bread and butter for the pond industry. Is it necessary? No. Is it harmful to the pond? Maybe. Are people forced to do it? No. We are entering our 7th season with our rocked pond - it's never been cleaned. But lots of pond owners like the look of clean rocks. Their pond, their choice.

Don't put rock in your pond if you choose not to - it seems you already had an opinion before you posted the question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I get a lot of muck, sticks, leaves and acorns collecting on the bottom that I net out every so often. So, no stones inside my pond. Only large rocks around the outside to hold down and hide the excess liner. But that's up to you... to each his or her own. Enjoy! It's your heaven!

Reaction score
We have a gravity fed ( bottom drain) system. So no rocks except for the ones the koi drop on the bottom. Our 4' X 5' beach section is rocked as well as our shelves.
You can successfully have a healthy pond either way, however in my opinion it's
easier to have a sparkling clean pond without gravel or rocks on the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@CliffandJoann ! I've been wondering where you went! I've enjoyed watching your Youtube videos and then you just disappeared! Everyone should go check out ClifflovesJoann on YouTube to see an absolutely beautiful pond!

If I had a bottom drain I wouldn't want a gravel bottom - I think the two are mutually exclusive. But we will have to agree to disagree about not being able to have a "sparkling clean pond" with a gravel bottom. And whether or not sparkling clean should even be the goal. What looks good to us may not be the healthiest for the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is not bottom sparkling clean, pea gravel, kitty litter, some rocks knocked in by deer, ground hogs. But the water is sparkling clear!

Reaction score
Hi Lisa...I had some health issues for the last couple of years, but now I'm back. :)

Well, perhaps I should clarify what I mean. It's easier to maintain a rock less bottom
pond. Our biological pond has a rocked bottom, the rock less bottom is easier,
any debris is easily removed with a net. We also have the rocked beach area, when we hose the beach so much muck and fish waste is released.
As I said, a rock less bottom pond is easier as far as maintenance is concerned.

Ask a Question