Animated Gifs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chiming in late here, as I only now discovered this section of the forum. As you can tell, I’m new here! That said, I have to say that I immediately felt at home here.
you go girl...... @YShahar .... for W.H.O...... PREZ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Is there a way to split off a new thread from an original post into a ... more casual, fun, conversation thread that would leave the original post/ Question with on topic answers separate from the tangent thread, where the off topic group can have at it, including a community building GiF-fest?
(If I had the time and expertise, I'd Gif a cake and an eating the cake, too, and probably both a pineapple pizza and a normal pizza, too.) Sorry Ian, coudn't resist. But is a split thread feasible?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking along the same lines but more a outlook sorta style if you respond to an email that response is like a drop down so the original post could show as it does now but if someone just want to respond to a more personal post that was not the original or in regards to like having the reply function maybe there could be a bs button , computers not my specialty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Heya all, i thought alot before posting on this thread, im almost "new" of this forum, but after that i'm almost Living on it every days after my join and I saw the complex net of chatting friendship etc of everyone....there are some that are more serious nd some that are more jokers...like a normal community...
I'm a joker that try to stay on edge of the rules when I can...at end is just a way to disconnect from the ugly real world and find a nice place. And like Yshahar said this forum looks like more a family then a internet work...

But after that, and is so strange, is the only forum that I signed in that mjssing a rules codex to accept prolly coz is the good mind of people to respect eachothers and try to be good(we are all almost adult, i think to be 1 of the younger with 33).

Like in the world there are rules to follow and there are who have to vigilance on it(addy in primis, then ian) but this dont mean that they are the bad police.

Like @YShahar said the old members can turn bored and leave the forum so the offtopic keep this up, but we need to remember that is a tech pond forum at the end...for that I create the off topic bar, but seems diesnt work; and to be more readable anigif in signatures can disturb(not for me, i had, and after ian made this i just deleted all by my own, for respect)
Usually the offtopic start after the OP got the answer, but can understand the problem anyway...

We lost the big messer of the forum, but 1 big pool of infos and tricks for that and ill try to keep him back into forum; is Brokensword and like I said before we are adult and dont need hide behind a finger. Ofc is a BS problem, admin nd mods just doing their work.

Im agree to 1 small sign and to try to keep all more in line...Nd im up to help to warn to keep in topic the thread just in friendly way.

If you read all this thanks a lot and I wish we can find a way to keep all up. This is the best forum that I found like info e community

(Sorry if something wrong, but im on my cell)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since I joined....................loooooooooong time ago, many of us have drifted off topic in a thread. It happens and will happen again. Something said brings on a totally different topic then everybody reins in and goes back to the original issue, usually pretty quick.

The off topics recently became to intrusive on some of the threads where someone needed help. The gifs to many too big. Did I enjoy the chat, at times, did I get lost on to what the thread was about, yep. Both Ian and I tried to remind everybody, not directed at any one person in the forum, to keep it at a lower key.

If it is your thread and you don't care it goes off topic, state that is so, like @YShahar commented in her first thread.

The forum is getting busy again, a lot of one time posters will show up. They just want a answer and move on.

Others come to stay and enjoy the virtual friendships we have made. Part of those virtual friendships is to chat, have fun, goof around, but only if it does not effect the OP's issue thread.

It is a balance, we usually balance it pretty well.

Can we blame covid..............yep.....(everything can be blamed on covid)......... a lot of people have been isolated, stuck at home, slowly getting back to normal life. The forum is a release a way to reach out and touch others.

Winter boredom if the cold has you stuck in your house.

A lot of reasons to get into a roll of having fun, laughing, posting funny gifs etc etc

Please all enjoy the forum, just keep in mind the OP usually posts because they need help, give them that help. Then have fun in another thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think General Chat is the perfect place for exactly that - people chatting about whatever strikes their fancy. Threads that are directed to a question are best left to the topic at hand to make sure that, not only does the poster gets a helpful answer, but that future readers can find answers without wading through pages of jokes and banter.

I feel like we're creating an archive of some of the best pond building and pond keeping information currently available on the internet. That may sound rather farfetched, but I know that even 10 years ago when we were researching pond building the information that can be found here very easily was almost impossible to ferret out. This forum represents years and years of experience - both successes and failures - that are available for anyone who wants to take the time to read.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think General Chat is the perfect place for exactly that - people chatting about whatever strikes their fancy. Threads that are directed to a question are best left to the topic at hand to make sure that, not only does the poster gets a helpful answer, but that future readers can find answers without wading through pages of jokes and banter.

I feel like we're creating an archive of some of the best pond building and pond keeping information currently available on the internet. That may sound rather farfetched, but I know that even 10 years ago when we were researching pond building the information that can be found here very easily was almost impossible to ferret out. This forum represents years and years of experience - both successes and failures - that are available for anyone who wants to take the time to read.
I'll agree but not everyone has the passion to sit and read for hours looking for the answers. I really do think we need to put together some stickies the two types of bogs. the advantages AND DISADVANTAGES did i say that out loud ? I saw somewhere a sticky that the previous admin had done i believe it was. I think it would be a tremendous resource. All to often we get folks coming in a dug my pond NOW WHAT .... and they are already behind the 8 ball. I have tried to do this with my showcase but it's way to over the top for most that will be asking. as soon as they see a mountain of cinder blocks im sure they say not what im doing and move on

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw somewhere a sticky that the previous admin had done i believe it was.
It is in the construction thread, I was asked to do it since I had my pond running and running well with my bog. Way before they made me a moderator.

If you want to write it up I can sticky it. We need to make sure that we are not leading ponders to think they must do aqua blocks snorkels etc that they can also do basic.

I see quite often that basic will fail, but mine still has not. So we need to write it up carefully not leading anybody down one particular path.

Like you said good and bad, so far I have no bad lol, so I am not the best to write it up. I would say KISS pea gravel plants = perfect bog lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback :). I'm probably repeating myself, but there's no problem having some off-topic chat in the threads that are just for fun - but it's when it derails someone else's topic that it becomes a problem. It's only been fairly recently that the pendulum has swung too far, hence the nudges in some recent announcements.

As for splitting threads in two, yes that is possible - but it's an awful lot of work for the moderators/admin, as we would then have to more actively patrol threads. I'd hope that people can self-moderate for the most part :). Of course, there will be occasions where threads are "split" out, but that's only occasional.

I know that I'm not as visibly active on here, but I spend a lot of time making sure that the forum is running smoothly from a technical and user feedback perspective. I got enough feedback on the off-topic conversations in threads that I had to step in. There are quite a few people that found it off-putting, but wanted to feed their thoughts back privately via e-mail/PM so that no-one was singled out.

We can absolutely make more use of the "articles" section on here to add some of the great forum content in to article form - that will be a task for me this spring :D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see quite often that basic will fail, but mine still has not. So we need to write it up carefully not leading anybody down one particular path.
That's why i built both types of bog there was so many conflicting stories to them both I decided it was easier to find out for my self, and build both ... the pea stone bog was pretty much just built with left overs from the pond build. and if i had to work on the matrix bog for some reason i would have a functioning back up

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That's why i built both types of bog there was so many conflicting stories to them both I decided it was easier to find out for my self, and build both ... the pea stone bog was pretty much just built with left overs from the pond build. and if i had to work on the matrix bog for some reason i would have a functioning back up

See guys? Can't even keep from talking about pond stuff even when we're supposed to be off-topic!!! ;-)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback :). I'm probably repeating myself, but there's no problem having some off-topic chat in the threads that are just for fun - but it's when it derails someone else's topic that it becomes a problem. It's only been fairly recently that the pendulum has swung too far, hence the nudges in some recent announcements.

As for splitting threads in two, yes that is possible - but it's an awful lot of work for the moderators/admin, as we would then have to more actively patrol threads. I'd hope that people can self-moderate for the most part :). Of course, there will be occasions where threads are "split" out, but that's only occasional.

I know that I'm not as visibly active on here, but I spend a lot of time making sure that the forum is running smoothly from a technical and user feedback perspective. I got enough feedback on the off-topic conversations in threads that I had to step in. There are quite a few people that found it off-putting, but wanted to feed their thoughts back privately via e-mail/PM so that no-one was singled out.

We can absolutely make more use of the "articles" section on here to add some of the great forum content in to article form - that will be a task for me this spring :D.
I was hoping there was a way for the OTG'g member to thread "us" off topic, not expecting you admin-moderators do the work/ more work than you already do, for which I think we all agree and thank you. Self-moderation it is!

Ask a Question