Annual pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Does anyone know what aquarium plants can do well in ponds during the growing season? I've heard some people talking about it but I've not seen many plants mentioned, other than some grasses which can be anchored to the bottom of the pond apparently those can be hardy too, but I'm looking for some more exotic things.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have Bacopa monneri and Echinodorus cordifolius outside in the summer. Bacopa placed in the crevices at the edge of the pond and the sword plant in a pot at the bottom which then produces aerial leaves and often a flower stalk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have Bacopa monneri and Echinodorus cordifolius outside in the summer. Bacopa placed in the crevices at the edge of the pond and the sword plant in a pot at the bottom which then produces aerial leaves and often a flower stalk.
Has anyone tried Hydrocotyle verticillata? It seems quite interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Have added Parrotfeather I think it was 2-3weeks ago. Loving it, added also one Mint Charlie I think it was called, crazy smell for just the foliage... Are there any that do well in a bog and that suck up a lot of nutrients? I think Parrotfeather's perennial in zone 7a, but here its advertised as an aquarium plant. Pennywort I added too in the pond, so far so good. But water mint got obliterated by hail. Though as did everything else

Parrotfeather I really like, the foliage is nice and under a tree its growing quickly, plan to add more on the other sides.
Also, any tips for floating plants like lettuce and hyacinth? Do you anchor them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have added Parrotfeather I think it was 2-3weeks ago. Loving it, added also one Mint Charlie I think it was called, crazy smell for just the foliage... Are there any that do well in a bog and that suck up a lot of nutrients? I think Parrotfeather's perennial in zone 7a, but here its advertised as an aquarium plant. Pennywort I added too in the pond, so far so good. But water mint got obliterated by hail. Though as did everything else

Parrotfeather I really like, the foliage is nice and under a tree its growing quickly, plan to add more on the other sides.
Also, any tips for floating plants like lettuce and hyacinth? Do you anchor them?
This is my first season planting so I am experimenting like you. I put some hyacinth in a few weeks ago and it is doing well. I have a log in one spot that goes into the water so the plants kind of float up against that, on the other end of the pond the hyacinth stay near the edge because I have an aerator that keeps them in that area. Some people have mentioned using a pool noodle to keep them contained, personally I am not a fan of that look. I think a better solution would be a fishing line tied around them, not sure exactly how you keep the line in place. The hyacinth have ended up in the skimmer, but no big deal to put them back where they belong.
I also like the parrot feather, I put some in last week, red stem dwarf variety. Hornwort also, have no idea how that is doing since it is at the bottom of the pond. It is all trial and error at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
This is my first season planting so I am experimenting like you. I put some hyacinth in a few weeks ago and it is doing well. I have a log in one spot that goes into the water so the plants kind of float up against that, on the other end of the pond the hyacinth stay near the edge because I have an aerator that keeps them in that area. Some people have mentioned using a pool noodle to keep them contained, personally I am not a fan of that look. I think a better solution would be a fishing line tied around them, not sure exactly how you keep the line in place. The hyacinth have ended up in the skimmer, but no big deal to put them back where they belong.
I also like the parrot feather, I put some in last week, red stem dwarf variety. Hornwort also, have no idea how that is doing since it is at the bottom of the pond. It is all trial and error at this point.
yeah ive had the hardier floating plants like mare's tail just die cause the pump pulls them in, they get stuck between rocks etc. same happens to bog bean.

hornwort though for me, i put it in back in winter when everything's still dormant. started blowing up in may, now its 3ft tall and any time it breaks off it just continues

Last edited:

Ask a Question