Any Saltwater fish people? I cant get ammonia to go away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's why I switched to a planted tank the reef a are going with such blue lights its just not attractive in the living room. But I do miss the diversity of all that can be had in a salt set up,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's why I switched to a planted tank the reef a are going with such blue lights its just not attractive in the living room. But I do miss the diversity of all that can be had in a salt set up,

I’m old school, my upcoming 75 reef will use metal halides;) Not a big fan of the blue LEDs

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used to use halides years and years ago, think I still have some laying around somewhere. When I set up my most recent tank (220 gal. In wall) years back I went with leds, personally like the way they can ramp up and down slowly Plus can adjust their look to the eye and intensity.

Im more old school in my calcium, mag and alk dosing, using a kalk stirrer and just two part dosing to make up any difference that the kale doesn’t keep up with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Jhn I hear you. I’ve had many tanks from 15 to 450 gallon with different types of filtration, lighting, etc. over the years.

I prefer the halides because I’m a Acroporaholic and IME you just get better growth and color from the Acros with halides. My last tank, a 92 corner bow front, used LEDs and I just couldn’t get the color and growth I’ve had from Acros as I did in my current and past tanks with MH.

I won’t deny the flexibility and cost effectiveness of LEDs, they are good lights. Like everything else in this hobby, there’s a hundred ways to do it right and a billion ways to do it wrong:LOL:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@griss that is true with how many ways to do really anything successfully related to salt tanks or ponds. Like you I have had many set ups and had to break them down for various reasons, I remember starting in the hobby when you were told to keep everything as sterile as possible, dead coral skeletons for decor, crushed coral over a UGF......

years ago, I had 70 g hex tank that had halides over it and the sps I kept grew like crazy And colored up well. I will say with the leds (wasn’t sure about them)I have now as long as I place the acros correctly in the tank, the seem to be growing well and show some great colors. Recently in the past year converted the tank from a Fowlr tank to a sps reef tank again, as some of my time has freed up to get a little more back into the reef side of the hobby.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you added bacteria to help in the cycling of the tank? I would do that and test in a day. It will go down. Good luck

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
It is kind of annoying having a giant blue glow in my room, but I am fine with it as long as everything is happy :)

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Have you added bacteria to help in the cycling of the tank? I would do that and test in a day. It will go down. Good luck
If you could see this thread is several months old now, I am not really having problems as of now :)

This this seems to be a halide led debate thread now(y)

Ask a Question