Koi Fish Belly Flops

Jay

Reaction score
This summer, my Koi (over 10+ inches long) started jumping up in my backyard pond. I have had the larger ones for over five years and this is the first summer I witnessed this unusual behavior. I researched it, but I couldn't find a reference that seemed to be applicable. Have anyone else experienced this and maybe have an answer? Thank you.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi jay, im no expert but i would check your water parameters as fish jumping can often be signs of stress, there are a lot more informed members on here who will sooon give you all the advice you need. and welcome to the forum !!!!!! cheers mark

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This summer, my Koi (over 10+ inches long) started jumping up in my backyard pond. I have had the larger ones for over five years and this is the first summer I witnessed this unusual behavior. I researched it, but I couldn't find a reference that seemed to be applicable. Have anyone else experienced this and maybe have an answer? Thank you.
If the water parameters are good and the koi only jumps a few minutes and then go back swimming normal, I wouldn't worry. If they keep jumping they could suffer from parasites.
My koi have done that a few times, right after feeding, but after 2 or three jumps they stopped

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have one small fish that does that all the time. It's quite funny. It does what looks like a running start, then breaks the surface of the water. I don't even know what type of fish it is. It's small, maybe 4-5 inches long and white.

Once in a while my bigger fish might jump creating a huge splash. I have some huge ones in there.

If the water parameters are good they might be just catching bugs.

Ad

Advertisements

Jay

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. As the season changes, the jumping has decreased. I have gold fish in there with them (which are very large), but only the koi fish larger than 10" jump up.

Jay

Reaction score
H! I'm not sure of the number of fish I have. I've had my pond over 5 years. There is a mixture of koi and goldfish (which are proliferate breeders). Some of my koi are about 12 inches long and some gold fish are about 5-6 inches long. My pond holds about 3,500 gallons. There is a waterfall which runs continuously and also there is a submersible pump.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question