Koi Fish Belly Flops

Jay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This summer, my Koi (over 10+ inches long) started jumping up in my backyard pond. I have had the larger ones for over five years and this is the first summer I witnessed this unusual behavior. I researched it, but I couldn't find a reference that seemed to be applicable. Have anyone else experienced this and maybe have an answer? Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi jay, im no expert but i would check your water parameters as fish jumping can often be signs of stress, there are a lot more informed members on here who will sooon give you all the advice you need. and welcome to the forum !!!!!! cheers mark

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This summer, my Koi (over 10+ inches long) started jumping up in my backyard pond. I have had the larger ones for over five years and this is the first summer I witnessed this unusual behavior. I researched it, but I couldn't find a reference that seemed to be applicable. Have anyone else experienced this and maybe have an answer? Thank you.

If the water parameters are good and the koi only jumps a few minutes and then go back swimming normal, I wouldn't worry. If they keep jumping they could suffer from parasites.
My koi have done that a few times, right after feeding, but after 2 or three jumps they stopped

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have one small fish that does that all the time. It's quite funny. It does what looks like a running start, then breaks the surface of the water. I don't even know what type of fish it is. It's small, maybe 4-5 inches long and white.

Once in a while my bigger fish might jump creating a huge splash. I have some huge ones in there.

If the water parameters are good they might be just catching bugs.

Jay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you for your response. As the season changes, the jumping has decreased. I have gold fish in there with them (which are very large), but only the koi fish larger than 10" jump up.

Jay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
H! I'm not sure of the number of fish I have. I've had my pond over 5 years. There is a mixture of koi and goldfish (which are proliferate breeders). Some of my koi are about 12 inches long and some gold fish are about 5-6 inches long. My pond holds about 3,500 gallons. There is a waterfall which runs continuously and also there is a submersible pump.

Jay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Perhaps there may have been a small swarm of mosquitoes. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a similar issue, went to my fish supplier who told me it was probably parasites so he gave me some blue liquid and told me to put a small amount in the pond once a month. Since then a few years or so ago I haven't had one single illness with any of my fish its called parasite and fungus made by NT labs, watch you don't get it on your hands as its near on impossible to get off them I always wear gloves .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to having a pond and its a lot of work. I have had fish my whole life and now I am 61 I finally got my pond. Really only because my huge gpldfish got to be to big for my aquarium so I got a stock tank. Had to put wire mesh over the top so the Racoons wont eat them and they are thriving and doing well at the moment Knock on Wood. Thank you so much for the forum so I can always find answers here. Cheers!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Pamela Mack Hello and welcome to our group! Why not go over to our INTRODUCTIONS topic and tell us a little about yourself. I’m afraid your post here will be lost within this topic, and no one will get to meet you.

Ask a Question