Anyone in Northern Virginia with Eastern Red Spotted Newts in their pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there anyone on the forum in Northern Virginia with Eastern Red Spotted Newts in their pond? I would love to introduce some into my pond to get a breeding colony started.

Thanks,
Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had some in my pond every year but they never survive. This winter there were 3 at around the same time, and all 3 had serious injuries that killed them. I have no idea what was attacking them. The orfes maybe?

Other years there were others that had no obvious wounds, but were still found dead in the pond.

My pond is in a greenhouse for winter and it never freezes, and no predators should be able to get in. It just isn't conducive to housing newts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had some in my pond every year but they never survive. This winter there were 3 at around the same time, and all 3 had serious injuries that killed them. I have no idea what was attacking them. The orfes maybe?

Other years there were others that had no obvious wounds, but were still found dead in the pond.

My pond is in a greenhouse for winter and it never freezes, and no predators should be able to get in. It just isn't conducive to housing newts.
I have seen neuts on the right of way in every state i have been to and the common is they only use ponds as a quick swim unless its breeding time. other wise they are in rotting limbs laying on the ground or under rocks and leaves cool moist damp. i'm hoping to find some in the stagnant bog that i have its damp soils not under water

Ask a Question