Aphids taking over, HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are all over my water hyacinth, frogbit, and lilypads. I tried spraying them off but they still just sort of stick there. There are too many too manually pick off. What should I do?

can I use Neem oil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your lilies are in a basket on a shelf you can move them to deeper water and drown the bugs. Can you remove the floating plants to another location for cleaning? I would never use any pesticide oil or not. Natural predators like Lady Bugs love aphids.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
doubt there is much you can do . i know a soapy spry of water on the plant is enough to sour the taste but i don't think doing that with the plants living in the pond that would be a great idea. Maybe an environmentaly friendly soap. remove the fish for a time remove the plants spray them let it dry and re install see where it goes .

Or ditch the plants infected and try different types that is probably the best bet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Aphids are the worst! I get them every year because the aquatic variety infect fruit trees (plum and cherry) over the cold months.

This year I started squishing them the moment I saw them. They breed parthenogenetically (asexually), so every single one of them has the potential of doubling itself every week.

I need to go through for another squish-fest soon.

They also infect cattails. They're pure evil. EVIL.

Take the plants out of the pond and spray them off a distance away. That's the only thing I can think of. Be prepared to have to do this every few weeks, since you're bound to miss some in the spray-down.

If you have fruit trees like I do, treat them for aphids in the cold months. I saw that suggested somewhere a few weeks ago. Kill them in the place you can treat with pesticides so that they can't move to the pond in the warmer months.

Ask a Question