Are frogs ok with my fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have had goldfish over 10 years. They never seemed to mind the frogs in my pond even when the little ones sat on the lily pads. One time a frog looked really weird and I couldn’t figure out what was going on. He had a whole bird in his mouth! I haven’t had any frogs since I built my new pond 4 years ago, but some people in our family liked the frogs better than the fish!

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
So... I have had a frog or 2 in my pond from time to time, but now it's getting a bit crazy here! Is it ok to have more frogs than fish? All of a sudden there are about 8 to 10 frogs hanging out in and around my pond. So I was just wondering if there are any concerns having that many in with my goldfish?
I have always found that generally speaking, frogs in a pond are a sign of a healthy pond...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Folks,
So... I have had a frog or 2 in my pond from time to time, but now it's getting a bit crazy here! Is it ok to have more frogs than fish? All of a sudden there are about 8 to 10 frogs hanging out in and around my pond. So I was just wondering if there are any concerns having that many in with my goldfish?
I had bull frogs in my goldfish pond and fish were disappearing but was lucky, while they were mating I caught them and put them in the dam, still connected, it didn't interrupt them at all. I don't worry about all the little ones but it does get really noisy in summer

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    375.9 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bull frogs will eat ANYTHING they can get down there throat. Birds, mice, bugs, Small snakes. ANYTHING. But like others have said they can eat all the baby fry they can get.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just me small two sense. But with smaller ponds, having large frogs and amphibians can and will make your fish skittish. Because the frogs will bounce around and may attempt to eat the fish to see if its edible size. This happened to me and my goldfish are slowly getting back to being docile after two large frogs visited my pond. In a large pond the fish have a wider area to swim therefore less times the frog may frighten them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a bullfrog that ate a bird. After that she was so full that I could roll him around with
a stick...We really liked this frog, she was tame, but sadly, we had to relocate her. :(
Yesterday I found a dead bird in the pond floating among the water lilies. We've never had it happen before. Coincidentally we have a large bullfrog this summer and I just came in from feeding the fish and there he is...floating among the water lilies. I'm thinking he may have drowned the bird and it was too big for him to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have had goldfish over 10 years. They never seemed to mind the frogs in my pond even when the little ones sat on the lily pads. One time a frog looked really weird and I couldn’t figure out what was going on. He had a whole bird in his mouth! I haven’t had any frogs since I built my new pond 4 years ago, but some people in our family liked the frogs better than the fish!
Wow! I"m wondering if this is what happened yesterday in my pond. I found a dead bird floating among the lily pads and we've had a big frog this summer. I just fed our fish and there he was laying in the water lilies. I think my koi are too big for him to hurt, and he is welcome to the fry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have bought koi fish 3 times now. The frogs are eating them as fast as I put them in. What do you think about me laying a chicken wire across my pond to keep the frogs out at night?
I have adult leapard frogs that squeeze right through those hexagon chicken wire.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you sure it is frogs? I have herons here eating up fish until I put up a large weave net. We have a lot of frogs and don't see a real lose in fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have leopard frogs here, but they don’t seem to bother the fish.
I thought so too. I usually see them out of the water but ever since they started going into the pond my goldfish are frantic and skittish. So I manually move them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Depending on the size and shape of your pond maybe you could use nylon window screening stretched onto a frame?

Ask a Question