Frogs...do I want them?

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I was thinking it would be cool to have some native frogs in my bog. There isn’t much surface water within hopping distance of our pond so they haven’t moved in. I grew up near a drainage canal and loved falling asleep in the summer to the sound of the ribbets.

My pond store doesn’t seem to have any. I’d probably get in trouble for removing them from a local park. Where do you get them? Is it a bad idea to introduce them to a small pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be patient they will find you when your pond is ready

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Exactly - I don't know that it would cause any problem to go get some local frogs (unless they are a protected species I suppose) but there's no way you can make them STAY. Our frogs just show up every year - maybe they stayed in the pond, maybe they had other accommodations... who knows!

Reaction score
Country
United States
20200327_165628.jpg

Mine just show up. I love my frogs❤

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"If you build it, they will come". That statement has never been more true when it comes to ponds and frogs! It's getting rid of them that is the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The folks in the south i don't believe have issues with frogs but toads now that another story.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dig a hole, add water, voila frogs! They will come and I remember collecting frogs when a kid so what the heck be a kid again, grab a frog or two'
1586103280508.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I am surprised at how frogs find their way to the pond. The closest water is 1/2 mile away in a dry climate. I will have frogs come and stay a week or two and then be gone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love frogs, but not all of them are welcome in my ponds!... I've been relocating bullfrogs , every since I witnessed one of them eating my 10-12" butterfly koi
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would say it wouldn't be too long until they find your pond but as long as they weren't a protected species I don't suppose relocating a few from the local park to some new real estate would do any harm :D I'm sure they would soon tell their friends

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bullfrog big enough to eat a 10"-12" fish!? Sounds like froglegs for supper to me! ;)
I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! Up until that day I only feared snakes going after 5-6" fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe that's what's happened to my smaller Koi. I haven't even thought of that! I've bought a lot of very small koi and have had great luck with that over the years, but only recently notice larger frogs. I thought that stupid haron got them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Many stores that sell fish also have tadpoles for sale. I have never seen an actual frog for sale, only tadpoles. Typically the kind they sell are bullfrogs. You can also buy them online pretty easily. I prefer other types because they aren't so invasive, but they are harder to find.

Ask a Question