Arggh!! My suicidal koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a similar experience with one of my Koi about a month ago. I am new at this. This is my first winter. I got a couple of small Koi and a few goldfish in May. I have wanted a Koi pond for years and now seemed like a good time to try it. I have a fountain with an 8' concrete pool. Not an ideal situation but the fish are doing well. My 3 year and 7 year old granddaughters and I have fallen in love with the fish and we have added a few more. 10 total. We also have started construction on a 12' x 20' pond. I thought we would be finished in time to put the fish in this fall but we didn't make it. Digging chirt was harder than I thought!

So about a month ago, on a sunny day, I went out to see if the fish were swimming. I live in Alabama. It might be 30 degrees one day and 70 the next day. All the little fish were out but not "Spot". Spot is one of the first fish I bought and will take food from my hand. It is my biggest fish (6-ish") and my favorite! I walked around and looked for it in it's hiding place under a raised rock. Spot was lying on top of the rock! I thought it was dead but I saw its mouth move. I quickly got it off the rock and put it back in the water. Spot went to the bottom and did not move. I just knew I would find Spot dead the next morning but it had moved under the rock. I watched it for several days but it did not act normal. It's probably been a month and I finally saw it swimming the other day. Spot seems to be ok now. I was wondering how this could have happened? On another nice sunny day I went out to check on the fish. This was during Spot's recovery period. Several of the other fish were swimming and wiggling and acting like they were feeling really happy and frisky. All of the sudden my second largest Koi jumped up out of the water. I have never seen any of them jump like that. Now I know what happened to Spot. It wasn't Suicidal. I think it was enjoying the nice sunny weather! I have moved everything out of the pond that could be a potential problem and cause any harm to the jumping fish. I just can't wait to get the big pond finished.

Reaction score
Country
United States
what you have there is a Kawarigoi.....the only known jumpers that im aware in the Koi world is the Asagi...when i get a call on jumping fish, 90% of the time its the water, TEST IT... the other 10% is parasites. anchor worms, fish lice. the fish will flash...and flash. anchor worms can be seen with the eyes, you can see the lice also. anchor worms look like white thread hanging on ...both can kill. both are easy dealt with treatments . i use dimilin x is fast easy to use very hard to overdose...i only deal with koi..mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaGrapeStables

Latest Threads