Armed for Battle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Impressive cover! And I like your shade sails!
Those shade sails really saved us this summer. The pond stays at very reasonable temps, and the algae stay under control. And... I stay a bit less sunburned!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been considering the shade sails since I lost my large ash tree last year. Pond is in full sun all day now. Could you post more pictures of the sails and your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@cas here are pics showing before, during, and after the sail shades. Before shows the pond from further back in the yard, obviously in full sun. During... my menfolk digging and pouring concrete around the 10 foot tall 4 x 4 posts we used to mount the shades (one corner of each is tied to the back patio roof). After, well... I don't have any good, focused pics of the shades themselves, but this comes close! We got them at Costco for very cheap, maybe $18 each. Now I get enough morning sun and sun between the shades to keep the plants and everything happy, but much easier pond maintenance and no green water or string algae.

before.jpeg
during.JPG
after.jpeg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks C-Note. They look great. And not a bad price either! Need to check into these.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So nice to your pond, mine gets full sun blasting. But with the bog no string algae or green water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have been cool this summer, the highest so far has been around 83 or so. Last summer it did get to 86-87 off and on. The lilies cover (if all clumped in one spot slightly less than 1/2 of the surface.

I just cut off the old leaves today.

lilies.JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks. I think I will try adding more water lilies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two water falls that run constantly, that helps some to. One is three foot tall, tumbles down rocks, one is from the bog a sheet of water around 10 inches tall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Hoorah!!! Looks like things are off to a good start :) Now they'll go back and tell their bee buddies about the new watering hole!
Yep! They will do what @addy1 says and do a wiggle dance. Wish I could watch that! There will be some serious booty-shaking in those hives tonight!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Bloody humans they stopped us drinking at our watering hole wigggy wiggly lets have a disco dance :ROFLMAO::D:):happy:;)
Wiggle wiggle why's that ? Wiggly wiggly hey man they opened a nectar bar instead Yeah man Party ...:cool:
Well go to the Queeny B bar Wiggle wiggle :)

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Bloody humans they stopped us drinking at our watering hole wigggy wiggly lets have a disco dance :ROFLMAO::D:):happy:;)
Wiggle wiggle why's that ? Wiggly wiggly hey man they opened a nectar bar instead Yeah man Party ...:cool:
Well go to the Queeny B bar Wiggle wiggle :)

Dave
EXACTLY! @Dave 54 you perfectly described the image in my head. Hahaha!!!!!

Ask a Question