Armed for Battle

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
C-note, what is the update on your bees?
Every time I see bees on my flowers I check the water to make sure they aren't accumulating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Hey there, @cas . So far, so good! The bees are pretty much gone from the pond area, and utilizing the new watering hole we set up for them. I'm anxious to get that ugly screen cover off of the pond, but waiting until at least Wednesday or Thursday. We will save the screen and frame, just in case. I'm assuming next year we will have to go through it all over again. And each year for eternity. UGH!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once the weather warms to 50 or above, the bees start to fly in the spring. Make sure your new water hole is set up and smelling good. Ours ignore the pond since there are better watering places for them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have 8 hives around 50 feet or so from the ponds. They go for the slow smelly plant algae covered water.
Ignore the two ponds with fish and moving water.
Got all fingers crossed that they learn the nice cork loaded perfect water hole you made for them is the place to drink.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have 8 hives around 50 feet or so from the ponds. They go for the slow smelly plant algae covered water.
Ignore the two ponds with fish and moving water.
Got all fingers crossed that they learn the nice cork loaded perfect water hole you made for them is the place to drink.
Once they get "reprogrammed," and as long as their cork pond remains available to them, will they continue to use it.....always.....or might they convert to their old ways with time?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Once they get "reprogrammed," and as long as their cork pond remains available to them, will they continue to use it.....always.....or might they convert to their old ways with time?
My understanding @Mmathis is that they will more or less "start over" next spring. They could even rediscover the pond this season. But with the wonderful smelling stuff, and all the helpful advice from @addy1 , I feel like we should be able to help the bees stick to the new plan. Next spring, we will know to have the stock tank with corks set up and ready for them, with attractant applied. We'll help them start the season right!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bees that are drinking now are workers, they pass on the location of the water source to all the other workers, young ones doing their orientation flight to older ones.
Over winter the workers, born in the fall might be alive in the spring, metabolism slows down, but over winter no flights to point out drinking holes.
To get them to focus in on the bee watering hole, it needs to attrack them before the pond does.
Mine just go to the bog or small ponds in the spring, they prefer them.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been waiting for a post from you to give us an update - Congratulations!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I've been waiting for a post from you to give us an update - Congratulations!!

I'm thrilled! That video was taken yesterday, when it was very hot and sunny, which is when the bees are most active. Total success! And the cameo appearance from Daisy (French Bulldog) is my favorite part. She would spend all day, every day with "her" fish if she could!!

11816263_10206364831055966_7790871415827819198_o.jpg

Ask a Question