ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres no answer to that question i had some that the koi never touched and i had up to thirty of them i added one just one and he showed the others how to dig and remove gravel and no more. placing larger rocks over a dug out pit can keep them from the roots which is primarily been my issue.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One note the bog appears to be more toward the intake bay. You have an area up toward the front door with now cross flow of water . a circulation jet or shifting the bog toward the front may be needed your filtered water should travel all along the pond before it reaches the intake or your not getting good circulation
I was going to angle one of the small falls from the bog away from the intake bay and i thinking I will put the spillway basin at the high point of the pond. Hopefully that will give me what I need for flow?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD I have been thinking about what you suggested with the bog? I am not sure I completely followed but it did get me thinking. Rather than have that shelf in front of the bog with the vertical wall going up to the grass edge, why not just dig down down to create the excavation for the bog? I can place the boulders and use foam to force the water over the lower sections. Doesnt need to be completely watertight because its just an extension of the pond. I can use larger boulders and make sure they are at least 4-6" below the pond level to allow for evaporation and not being able to see the bottom of the boulders if the water level drops.

If this doesnt make sense I can try and put together a drawing of what I am talking about

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's a guy in the eu who was doing a bleeding wall similar to what your talking about last i knew it wasn't working the best how ever . there are others that have a bog area that's like half the surface of the pond or more where it has worked.

If you make the wall separating the two and all it's doing is holding back the water and the gravel of the bog you don't need to worry structurally inward to the bog because the stone will hold that wall in that direction it's only toward the pond you have to be concerned with

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a guy in the eu who was doing a bleeding wall similar to what your talking about last i knew it wasn't working the best how ever . there are others that have a bog area that's like half the surface of the pond or more where it has worked.

If you make the wall separating the two and all it's doing is holding back the water and the gravel of the bog you don't need to worry structurally inward to the bog because the stone will hold that wall in that direction it's only toward the pond you have to be concerned with
@GBBUDD Here's a quick sketch I did, not entirely to scale but helps illustrate what I am trying to do. There would still be a wall separating the pond and bog just wouldnt be as high as the current design. I would also be able to use some of my larger boulders in more of a natural orientation as it will take up less room. I am really just looking to get rid of the vertical wall at the low shelf and it will only be 6-8". Both the designs I will need to foam the rock on the bog side to force the water over the lower sections. Think it will work?

2A6CA409-B44B-4EE3-B2A4-570E36854586.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD Here's a quick sketch I did, not entirely to scale but helps illustrate what I am trying to do. There would still be a wall separating the pond and bog just wouldnt be as high as the current design. I would also be able to use some of my larger boulders in more of a natural orientation as it will take up less room. I am really just looking to get rid of the vertical wall at the low shelf and it will only be 6-8". Both the designs I will need to foam the rock on the bog side to force the water over the lower sections. Think it will work?

View attachment 148552

It will work. Will reduce effectiveness of the bog a bit as water can’t percolate up through 100% of the media, but this design style is done frequently and still works great.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It will work. Will reduce effectiveness of the bog a bit as water can’t percolate up through 100% of the media, but this design style is done frequently and still works great.
Thanks, I think no matter what I do there will be rock sitting on top overlapping the bog. I tried to size it close to 30% of the pond surface, so hopefully that will suffice.

Any thoughts on my intake bay height? I know at one time you were going to add one. I have it dug and not sure if I am going to like my pump vault possibly being under water a few inches. There's a pic above. The bottom of the pump vault is even with the bottom of the matrix blocks so I dont think I want to raise the vault up more than where it is currently, unless I raise the matrix blocks along with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would recommend digging the vault a few inches lower than the blocks, actually. If you want the vault lid above water, can you add an extension?

We’re you concerned about other dimensions?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would recommend digging the vault a few inches lower than the blocks, actually. If you want the vault lid above water, can you add an extension?

We’re you concerned about other dimensions?
I dont think this particular model comes with an extension. Does it matter if the opening and lid are under water? I dont see myself needing to access it very often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I dont think this particular model comes with an extension. Does it matter if the opening and lid are under water? I dont see myself needing to access it very often.

It only matters as much as you care about getting your hands/feet wet during access.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand what your trying to do but not sure why other than a little bit of liner. Your looking at your current design of a waterfall of 7 inches that's not much but better than nothing.

I have added a couple movements in your drawing you want the 6 inches all the way around the bog but if you going to have the liner under the front wall that goes to the back of the bog then your looking a a wheeping wall . Foaming between will stop 80 % +- most of the flow.
Not sure why your bringing the boulders in front and the back into the bog. Your planting area will be very narrow.
I know right from the start you knew about the look of volcanoes but your not going to get that look with a2 foot tall bog wall and a 18 inch waterfall. But it is your home your dream I'm a guy on the web. I wont be the one sitting by it .
tempFileForShare_20220321-132556.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you trying to build similar to this

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are you trying to build similar to this
No, not even sure where the bog is in this one. Guessing its the shallow area?

I was getting my inspiration from this picture
https://www.houzz.com/photos/comple...sing-pa-traditional-landscape-phvw-vp~5014620

or
Wetland pic.jpg

The picture I drew was not to scale. I will have more space between the boulder on the pond side and the bog side. I am trying to avoid the stacked rock look. Are you saying you would build a wall across the front of the bog (blue arrow below pic) have the liner go over it, then down into the bog then up the back wall/berm?

Bog wall.jpg

I do really appreciate your feedback! Keep it coming!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok, I think I am starting to get that the design I have been been planning is more a weeping wall. Which would be ok and might be kinda cool but If I want more of a falls then I will need to build up a berm at the front edge (pic with blue arrow above). So the liner goes over the front of the bog berm, down to the bottom of the bog and then back up to the outside edge of the bog. Do I have it correct?

Visually, I am struggling around how I would hide the liner on the top part of the bog berm in the front. Do I just cover it with a layer of pea gravel?

I played around with a few options below of what I think would work. I like the first pic the best. It wouldnt give me as much height but I feel like it may look the most natural ( this stone just represents the avg height of other stones i have) the bottom 6 inches or so would be under water.

The second pic would give me more height but with a earth berm it takes up more room in the bog. The bog is only 4-5ft wide so would like to keep as much width as possible. The water level would be about halfway up the bottom stone and you would see the gap between the top and bottom stone as the top stone would be completely above the water.

F53AB513-5A8A-4E76-B036-537F53B5786E.jpeg
2C475C2E-F841-4CFF-B1F0-9001893F2540.jpeg

Last edited:

Ask a Question