ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang you were busy, you got a lot done. shelves look good, plenty wide. the rounded walls like in front of the bog may be more work than they are worth . the boulders probably wont fit those rounds , better off making the rounds with the boulders. it's looking great . i can see your finish is going to come out very nice

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow so precise and beautiful is all that work you have done for sure!
You are one neat and tidy pond builder
1648401853146.gif

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got the pond dug! Still need to do some edge cleanup and get as many of the little rocks as possible. Dug out an area for a cave in the deep section and might add one more. Going to dig out recessed areas that will fit a lilly pots and one for a Lotus pot. May even dig some plant pockets for marginals. Right now in the middle pond is 37"-38". I over dug because I plan on lining bottom with a layer of sand. tSarted to dig the bog and as expected all sand down 14".

Still need to order the liner. My original plan was to keep the pond and bog in a 15x25x3' rectangle and according to the liner calculation this size pond would require a 25'x35' liner. I wasnt sure how accurate this would be since the bog is an additional depth as well as the intake bay. I took a flexible tape (pic below) and came out to exactly 25' with about 2' on one side and a foot on the other to spare. Is this too close a margin? Not sure how all the folding of the liner creases will impact this measurement? I will be adding a few inches of sand to the bottom so that will help a little.
B14B8873-BC0D-4F60-BE8D-5FD31096E2A7.jpeg
Dig
E56077A4-455A-46B8-B41E-819EA6C50563.jpeg
EBC2C86B-2C52-44D1-BB76-F85987A98507.jpeg
B31E60CE-B9FD-4848-986B-187BB192E47D.jpeg
0467C88D-382C-4550-9F84-F5C75BCD823D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks great. Your flexible tape will tell you a lot more than any pond calculator. Most pond calculators cannot account for the extra up/down of using the same liner for an intake bay and bog.

Just make sure you’re taking your dims from the widest points in the pond. Easy to mess that up when you have lots of curves.

I’d say the 3’ of extra you measured is okay in most standard cases, but might be cutting it close with your pond as you get a lot of folding when using the same liner for multiple features.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks great. Your flexible tape will tell you a lot more than any pond calculator. Most pond calculators cannot account for the extra up/down of using the same liner for an intake bay and bog.

Just make sure you’re taking your dims from the widest points in the pond. Easy to mess that up when you have lots of curves.

I’d say the 3’ of extra you measured is okay in most standard cases, but might be cutting it close with your pond as you get a lot of folding when using the same liner for multiple features.
I took a measurment across the intake bay section too and it was very similar if not a little less. Just trying to figure out if I go with the 25' or having to bump up to 30'. I think I can get liner from a local pond installer and they say they can cut to size, so if that is the case I may just add on a few feet to be safe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got the pond dug! Still need to do some edge cleanup and get as many of the little rocks as possible. Dug out an area for a cave in the deep section and might add one more. Going to dig out recessed areas that will fit a lilly pots and one for a Lotus pot. May even dig some plant pockets for marginals. Right now in the middle pond is 37"-38". I over dug because I plan on lining bottom with a layer of sand. tSarted to dig the bog and as expected all sand down 14".

Still need to order the liner. My original plan was to keep the pond and bog in a 15x25x3' rectangle and according to the liner calculation this size pond would require a 25'x35' liner. I wasnt sure how accurate this would be since the bog is an additional depth as well as the intake bay. I took a flexible tape (pic below) and came out to exactly 25' with about 2' on one side and a foot on the other to spare. Is this too close a margin? Not sure how all the folding of the liner creases will impact this measurement? I will be adding a few inches of sand to the bottom so that will help a little.
View attachment 148991DigView attachment 148987View attachment 148992View attachment 148989View attachment 148990

Way to close those pond calcs are for the simple i have a simple layout not folds will be made no angles no rounds, I am in the process of re doing my Main bog and that's because when i ordered the pond liner i listened to my years of contracting and over ordered way outside of the pond calc estimates and it gave me all kinds of leaway. But i felt i had a bit to much so when i ordered the bog And i even went 3 feet on both sides and it fell short. because it was a rectangle the liner got eaten up in the folds and corners on one end, and it bit me HARD. I seamed on an extension but the liner bas badly folded and that's is a nightmare to seam. with the multiple folds and it being right at the freeze level it blew open a seam somewhere. I wanted a taller set up for a falls and it was just not in the cards. long story short because i tried to save 200 or 300 bucks by being tight on liner. I have now rented an excavator to PULL OUT the rock in the bog . I started doing it by hand the pea stone wasn't bad but as I got down into the larger sizes in the layers. it didn't take long to go rent a excavator.
I lost 6 aquablocks the original liner the 24" culvert pipe as a centipede and the ton's of rock , to replace these is going to run over 5 k . long story short make damn sure you get enough. like i said before the spillway bowl should have a good amount of liner around it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
25' or having to bump up to 30'.
with your odd ball shaped pond an extra five feet sounds like a lot but look at it this way you lay the rubber down and as your setting boulder they tug a little here and the bends eat up 6 inches in a fold too keep things tight to the walls. or worse you loose a side to a collapse.

Signed Gun shy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ever try to dig out a plastic box surrounded by stone , all inside a narrow trench and the only access is from the side ? no where to store all that stone without getting it mixed with native soil or rock like shale that you don't want in a bog. three sides to the bog are inaccessible. and the excavator was sitting there i made a heck of a mound on the side where access was week at best.
the 24 inch T WAS LOCKED IN AT THE BOTTOM IT GOT CHEWED UP BY EXCAVATOR. DAMN CAPS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For $5k, you could buy a couple tarps to pile rock on and do 5% of the excavation by hand. :ROFLMAO:

But I'm also a bit of a glutton for punishment. You've seen my 2x4 soil sifter, yes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NEW LINER 30 X40 1200 PLUS 425 SHIPPING 17 Feet across the bottom 6 feet in vertical x 2 = 30 feet added 5 feet each end for folds and bends.

centipede 700 bucks it actualy come close to pay for it's self in not needing 24" stone by only needing 10" and it would have cost 400 plus for a replacement hdre double wall
aquablock screen 150
new fabric torn 300
excavator rental 450
all terain fork truck 700
stone 1500
lumber extenssion 850
6 aquablocks 400
If you ever have dug into a filled area that is all stone and i'm talking 4 inch to 24" you'd find out it is a nightmare and requires a large machine. i only had a mini about barney's size a bobcat c26 WITH A THUMB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with a soil sifter but we are at different points in life you have little ones mine are on there own. im almost 60 and i'd rather spend more than work more. it cost me 300 bucks more for the aquascapes centipede by not buying the 400 plus t 24" double walled and extra stone. the 24 inch i used as the centipede took some damage so the horizontal will become the vertical and the vertical gets put out front and wait for a @combatwombat TO SEE THE 6 FOOT PIECE OF PIPE AND MAKE IT DISAPEAR FOR ME .........

Ask a Question