Australian natives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Australia
@bentaz I am not doubting you that your one of those states my friend but its a shame really because your missing out on such beautiful fish ,
But saying that i find the fish your keeping exiting and with their own unique challenges , such as feeding health issues etc .. .
I will be reading future posts with interest .
May i suggest you purchase this book by an Australian fish vet by the name Dr Richmond Loh which is a brilliant book and one that we have in our large fish health and koi library you'll find he touches on native species :-

https://www.scribd.com/document/641...ials-2011-by-Drs-Richmond-Loh-and-Matt-Landos

It is a book written by Vets and other fish professional's
A word of warning however and it has to do with scaleless fish
I know that in the tropical world there are certain scaleless fish that would die if you attempted to use chemicals to treat them, I just hope its not the same with your choice of fish
You mention they will eat anything from ducks to dogs snails worms etc including pellets , Question are they specifically formulated for these two fish, if not they may be missing out on various essential vitamins and other nutrents ?

Dave 54
Gday mate.
I don't plan on using chemical treatments I've found that with good filtration and low stocking rates that medication beyond a bit of sea salt is not really necessary.
They make good quality native pellets that they use farming Murray cod and I have a bucket of good catfish pellets as well.
The pond however is stocked with small shrimp, feeder fish and yabbies to make sure the fish get a good balanced diet, I am also thinking of hanging a bug zapper over the pond once the shadehouse goes up, it should attract bugs that'll get zapped and fall into the water. I have seen that used to good effect with aquaponics systems.
Thanks for the book advice, I'll give it a look.
Cheers
Ben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem Ben if you have the information its always best to share it out

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Nice Bentaz, those are some solid locals. How big is your pond? Would love to see a pic or two. Cheers

Ask a Question