Autumn water change

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
how much water should i change on getting pond ready for winter and when should i do it ?
i plan on keeping my pump and filter running but raising the pump on bricks and turing the flow right down, also i will have a couple of air stones in the pond ...should i raise them up a bit ?
i know most will say turn pump off but ive had it running all winter for 7 years, pond is right close to house so never freezes and will have filter hose so it just trickles into the pond ... does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Reaction score
you can raise your air stone on a brick, yes. Mine sits on top of my retro bottom drain.

I've kept my pump running until a good freeze a few years. But mostly I stop everything except the air pump. You do what worls for you. If it never gets cold enough to damage your equipment, then rock on.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I keep my pump running until i get slush on the water..
i go as long as i can before draining my system..
then turn it back on as soon as the cold snap passes

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thanks for your replies :biggrin:

but i dont know how much of a water change i should do ?... i have never done a big water change in the autumn before ...i didnt realize you were meant too

Reaction score
Are you talking about your last water change before you basically close down the pond for the winter?

I usually do a large one of at least 50%. You need to do a larger one because the water that remains in there is going to have to go through the winter without another change, so you want to do something fairly substantial. Try as best you can to remove the water from the lower regions, where it is most stale and has the least oxygen.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
right so ive got to go for more than half ...i do water changes weekly now about 20%
im right in thinking not to do water changes during the winter ?
and yes i always pump the water out from the bottom, thank you koikeeper for your help :biggrin:

Reaction score
Yes, I do 20% water changes weekly too. Usually in the middle of the hot summer (once in july and once in august) I do a larger change of about 40-50% just to rid the water that's been really zapped of oxygen by the dense heat.

In winter, you do not do any water changes. There are some folks in warmer climes that may do one in winter...but I really don't see the point. The fish are hunkered down and not eating, so there's really no heavy waste. I have never done a winter water change. For one, my garden hoses are all packed away and my spigots are sporting an insulation cup.

I just keep my filters going to early december if the temps are still mild. And then shut everything down from mid Dec through mid March--about 12 weeks.

I just keep my air pumps going all winter. I have one 5" air diffuser disk in my upper goldfish pond and 2 6" discs in my lower pond. That's pretty much it.

Ask a Question