The Answer to Autumn Leaves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some rebar, pvc, tie wraps and 3/8" nylon netting and wala ... leafless. I posted this once about a year ago but modified it with the end supports. It takes about 2 hours, start to finish by myself. Water is pink / purple as I was doing a pp treatment as I usually do every Spring & Fall .... Crystal clear 4 feet down and it will stay that way until I restart the main biofilter in March. All is still running as water temp is still up there at 65F but dropping! Wheat germ time ... Love my pond :) ...

IMG_6324.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The one i made last year isn't any good now.. I love yours.

@peter hillman ... What happened to last years??? I used this last year but modified it by putting the ends on. I also used rebar into the ground where the 10 pieces of pvc meet the ground. They go over the rebar. Then I used about 10 - 12 more pieces of pvc into the ground and tie wrapped it all around. Without the ends pieces of pvc, the snow collapses it and when the snow melts it pops back up into shape. With the end supports, it should stay erect during the snow. We'll see.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
@peter hillman ... What happened to last years??? I used this last year but modified it by putting the ends on. I also used rebar into the ground where the 10 pieces of pvc meet the ground. They go over the rebar. Then I used about 10 - 12 more pieces of pvc into the ground and tie wrapped it all around. Without the ends pieces of pvc, the snow collapses it and when the snow melts it pops back up into shape. With the end supports, it should stay erect during the snow. We'll see.
My lazy likeness left if out all summer and the netting got sun rotted. I hate that guy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Okay, winter is almost upon us, or at least definitely on its way, and I have not solved the issue of my leaking pond yet...I had hoped that once we cleared out the plants we might have found an obvious area where the liner was pushed back and causing the leak. Since it s such a large pond approx12 x 22 ft.x 4ft. I don't even know how, where to begin. The leak is painfully slow and has now reached the 2ft mark. Some days I think it is just evaporation but really...although we have had an extremely hot summer. I just don't think the sun is that strong to be responsible. I live in Ontario and need to get it resolved before the snow comes!!! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My lazy likeness left if out all summer and the netting got sun rotted. I hate that guy.

You can pick one up on Amazon, have it in a day. I actually bought a new one this year and used the old pvc ....
This one is great and lasts for years. I bought this and cut it down as I installed it. I wrap the edges all around and tie
wrap as I go. Right now as the leaves aren't bad, I have about 18" rolled up along the the front so I can see in. Actually, you have 600 gal, mine is 2000. You can pick up the same brand, smaller and much less money. Just came back and edited. Here's the same one, smaller .... Nice thing is the openings are only 1/4 inch and it easy cuts with a scissor or box cutter and the tear doesn't run ....

http://www.overstockpond.com/Produc...KwUKA3l1y4etX6MjHIVfR1Glfvtgzxwl_3RoCjirw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7MWE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Okay, winter is almost upon us, or at least definitely on its way, and I have not solved the issue of my leaking pond yet...I had hoped that once we cleared out the plants we might have found an obvious area where the liner was pushed back and causing the leak. Since it s such a large pond approx12 x 22 ft.x 4ft. I don't even know how, where to begin. The leak is painfully slow and has now reached the 2ft mark. Some days I think it is just evaporation but really...although we have had an extremely hot summer. I just don't think the sun is that strong to be responsible. I live in Ontario and need to get it resolved before the snow comes!!! Any suggestions?

Is there a main drain or any place with seals? That would be the first place I'd look. Then, if the liner has folds and the side face the sun where it might crack. How old is the liner? If you let it go, does it keep dropping even below the 2 foot mark? Does it stop at some point? The other thing is if you have a waterfall, the water can be back flowing and absorbing that way. How long does it take to drop the 2 feet? My falls have some splash but no water loss from it. Maybe 1/2" a week at most and one rain usually balances it out. It's a tough one. So once again, how slow is the leak? Hopefully, others will jump in with some ideas. I guess you have no skimmer, correct? What about underground piping connections?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Certainly better than my solution of netting out the leaves for hours and hours, week after week, until the water freezes over.

Ask a Question