Bad News I think I ripped my liner

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah.. its easy.. you add dechlorinator... available at any pond supply ..Lowes .. Home depot..Meijers.. Walmart in garden supplies..and some pet stores

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use the Beckett dechlor sold at Home Depot for my large tanks and Sodium Thiosulphate for the ponds.
1.3 grams per 100 gallons is perfect. It is so cheap $100 will get you a lifetime supply.
Photo supply places sell it for a lot more but a chemical supplier has it in bulk.
Oh and to answer your question you can add it as you fill, or after, but don't forget.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i use tetra pond aquasafe ... seems good to me also coats the skin of fish and helps to heal, after spawning fish had a few scrapes but after adding tetra seemed to heal up real qwick :goldfish:

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well I haven't dressed out the sides with rock, used the rock foam or trimed the liner because I thought it might be a good idea to run it for a while and make sure something isn't leaking again. But, this should be the new look to my waterfalls. Tell me what you think.
Waterfalls.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I know its a little late but i use left over linner to help pad ,, my linner under my rocks ..
I use crystal clear Vanish granules to take out the clorine 2lbs treats 192,000 gal

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
i had a 1/2 inch thick hard rubber mat that i used under the rocks, on top of the liner. Used it last time to but the boulder skipped off of it while we were muscling them in and ripped about 8 small holes into it. That was my problem for the major loss in water. I was able to lower them into place on top of the mating and quartsite flagstone this time and just adjust them into place. Much more controlled. I am not worried about the condition of the liner now but still giving it a little test run.
My plan was originally to put a "float valve" in my pond to allow water to be automatically pour into the pond when the water got below a certain level. The same way they work on livestock tanks. But that isn't something I can do if the chlorine is going to be that damaging to the balance. The plus to this would be that it would be added a little at a time and I don't have to think about it at all.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you keep the refill drop adjustment within a inch or two the chlorine wont be enough to do any harm...as long as your not still leaking and refilling often.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My water bill said I used 61,000 gallons of water last month. At least I know it is not a bottom drain gone bad or a big rock. LOL
Sorry, with the recent posts, I couldn't resist.
The previous month was only 9,000 gallons usage. I think I have some irrigation breaks. Oh well.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well I have been watching it for the last 1.5 hours while running the falls and haven't seen any movement to the water level at all. Last time I could see a inch drop in less then a hour. Oh, and it is about 20 degrees hotter today then it was that day. It is 90F+ and not a cloud in the sky. I will give it about another 1.5 hours and if still now change I am going to turn it off and glue the piping permanent. Let the falls dry and then Foam them and add the rest of the rock to dress it up.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The over $300 water bill is the least of my worries. They are talking fines here due to water rationing.
My back yard is landscaped like a Disney venture, lots of stuff. It takes a lot of water and over 300 irrigation heads that are computer controlled to water it. Then there is the other stuff that isn't on timers.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well here is the pond now that the leaking under the waterfalls is all fixed. I have to do a lot of work around the edge (the rocks are just set there and are not a final product). I have 2 planter boxes I am incorperating into the right hand side to plant a Green Wheaping Japanesse Maple along with some other plants. I haven't added any plants or fish to the pond either. I am really considering adding a small pond with a gravel river (bog filter) on the left side along the fence. I think it will dress out real nice in the end. Then I can turn my attention to making the rest of the back yard look good.
Waterfalls002.jpg

Ask a Question