Liner placement, how bad is this going to be.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I've finally gotten to the point where I have to place the underlayment and liner, they should both be here next week. Besides measuring with a string to get all the different contour measurements, I also used a 20' x 25' piece of 4 mil plastic sheeting so I was certain I ordered the correct size liner. I'm attaching a few pictures in hopes of lessening the intimidation I have now that this part (placing the liner) won't be as horrible and challenging as I perceive it could turn into. In another post I received some excellent information suggesting I do it slowly and while in the pond as the water fills which makes a lot of sense to me. One question I guess I have, is did I try and make to many shelves, etc in the pond itself? Some are set up to be used as a kind of fish cave. Anyway any thoughts, suggestions....... this seems like it could be a nightmare putting in the underlayment and than trying to fit the liner without disturbing the underlayment, not to mention all the folds. I never gave it a lot of thought, my small existing pond was a preform, but you guys that do this liner type certainly have my admiration and respect!! Thanks for any help.

Bill

I have the whole weekend at least to ponder and 2nd guess myself crazy here, ha........ 8-3-2017-1.JPG 8-3-2017-2.JPG

Attachments

• 8-3-2017-3.JPG
    8-3-2017-3.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 8-3-2017-4.JPG
    8-3-2017-4.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 8-3-2017-5.JPG
    8-3-2017-5.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 285

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No, I don't think you tried to make too many shelves that should go relatively easily. Just work all the smaller folds into bigger ones.

Honestly, it should go pretty easy. Underlay really doesn't move much under the liner when you are working the folds and creases out. Once the pond s established you won't even notice the folds that are in the liner here and there. Part of the fun of having pond for me Is the design and build portion of it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If I can do it by myself any one can do it .Remember sun on the liner for a couple of hours makes it easier to work with .I rolled mine out on the lawn and then folded it like you would do with a pie crust .Each side folded to the middle helps and I just put min in the middle if the pond v and pulled each side out and then got in the pond and worked it out .Mine was easy since it was a rectangle and no shelves .Have an extra hand or 2 or 3 would make it a lot easier though

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That looks a lot like my pond did before I put in the liner. I used the same size liner. You'll be fine. You can see a time lapse of the underlayment and liner going in at about 5:30 in this video:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Slow n steady wins the race. A Slow fill of water fill while you are in it and a few friends or so on the outside to help. After your folds are done or appear to be let it sit for a day or 2 and drain if needed to fix IF needed. That is how i did mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always love watching @EricV 's pond build video... I wish we had thought to make one. We do have one of the rain exchange going in. My sons play it for me to remind me how much the love me. They had to put it all in and take it all out three times in 105 degree heat. Nothing like working with nice, hot, heavy EPDM!

You'll be fine @billjr - you'll see. It's really not rocket science. More grunt work than anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you all for your very encouraging posts. I've looked at so many on YouTube, so make it look so easy. I'm hoping that this turns out to be one of those things I dread doing (for lack of experience) that turns out to be much easier than I anticipated. I will definitely be going slow and don't want to damage the liner.

Sissy...The idea of putting it in the sun sounds interesting, did you have any issues with unwanted stretching??

Eric... That looks daunting to me, especially when you mentioned that's the same size I'll be dealing with. But you do make it look not to bad, I didn't see anytime where you were having problems with the underlayment moving as you pulled the liner in place, that is one of my concerns. Hope I get somewhere near the same results as you did. Why were you occasionally wetting down the underlayment??

Again thank you all for your time and help,

Bill

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Why were you occasionally wetting down the underlayment??

It was a bit breezy that day, so wetting it down just kept it in place is all. My pond might be a touch bigger. I don't know if you saw, but I have two pieces of liner, a 20x25 for the pond itself and then the waterfall area is an overlapping 10x10 piece. But I almost had enough to cover that part too.

The liner was the only part that I had someone help me with to pull it into place, but I could have done that by myself too. You can slowly scooch it over the hole. Just get it centered, get a little water in to pull it into place, and start smoothing and folding as the water goes up. If you do like I did and fill it with a garden hose, a regular hose will only put out about 500 gallons an hour. Even with two hoses running, it takes 2 1/2 hours to fill my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious as to how you have supported the roof of the fish cave? Can't see how far back it actually goes, guess not too far......? Will look good once completed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well I've finally gotten to the point where I have to place the underlayment and liner, they should both be here next week. Besides measuring with a string to get all the different contour measurements, I also used a 20' x 25' piece of 4 mil plastic sheeting so I was certain I ordered the correct size liner. I'm attaching a few pictures in hopes of lessening the intimidation I have now that this part (placing the liner) won't be as horrible and challenging as I perceive it could turn into. In another post I received some excellent information suggesting I do it slowly and while in the pond as the water fills which makes a lot of sense to me. One question I guess I have, is did I try and make to many shelves, etc in the pond itself? Some are set up to be used as a kind of fish cave. Anyway any thoughts, suggestions....... this seems like it could be a nightmare putting in the underlayment and than trying to fit the liner without disturbing the underlayment, not to mention all the folds. I never gave it a lot of thought, my small existing pond was a preform, but you guys that do this liner type certainly have my admiration and respect!! Thanks for any help.

Bill

I have the whole weekend at least to ponder and 2nd guess myself crazy here, ha........View attachment 102869 View attachment 102870

My advise is to dig for a koi cave in there. Give your fish a place to hide when necessary.

Like this or this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Faebinder....Did you mean to attach a pic? You ended your post with "Like this or this". If you're anything like me I do that all the time, send someone a question or something, and forget to attach the pic I'm talking about. Or maybe you're answering the other question referring to my fish cave as I see those 2 images in your post.

moby.... as shown in the 2 images in Faebinder's post, those are what I refer to as a fish cave. It measures 20" wide, 22" deep (front to back) and 12" deep under the top which is going to be a 1 1/2" or so piece of blue stone which will rest on the two shelves on either side. Hopefully I explained that right. Do you think that's OK for a cave?

Magzire.....Thank you, not my strongest suit to say the least, so that was nice to read.

This is all new to me as I mentioned in my first post. My 12-15 year old pond was a preform 300 gal or so which was easy to install. This requires some imagination and design skills of which I have very little. While being very mechanically inclined and able to do just about anything someone would ask me too, I have absolutely no imagination or ability to design stuff like this. I greatly admire those who do, it's a very helpful gift for many things in life.

Again thank you all who have taken the time to respond and offer your much appreciated help. Hope you're all having a great weekend....... Just found out the liner and underlayment will be here Wed, have to check the weather for Thurs and Fri.....at least I hope that's enough time, haha.

Bill...............sorry for such long posts

Last edited:

Ask a Question