Barrel pond waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a oak barrel that I have converted into a pond (underline, lining etc), with a wooden diy ledge around the rim. I was hoping to build a specific size of acrylic waterfall weir, then surround it with stones that have been collected over the years. Just wondered if anyone knew if there are specific ratios for how deep the reservoir/weir should be for the size of lip? Mine will be very small, approx 8cm width :confused: (which is why it's DIY!). If it doesn't matter, I'll just make it up :)
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_170725.jpg
    IMG_20200412_170725.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 170
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have an answer for you, but I love the color of that barrel!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have a oak barrel that I have converted into a pond (underline, lining etc), with a wooden diy ledge around the rim. I was hoping to build a specific size of acrylic waterfall weir, then surround it with stones that have been collected over the years. Just wondered if anyone knew if there are specific ratios for how deep the reservoir/weir should be for the size of lip? Mine will be very small, approx 8cm width :confused: (which is why it's DIY!). If it doesn't matter, I'll just make it up :)
Thanks in advance!
A waterfall weir needs to match the size of your pump, plus the head. A good place to start is the general rule that your pump needs to push 100 gallons per hour for every inch wide the waterfall weir is, plus any head height, but most pumps will cover up to 5' head and yours is minimal, so just go by the 100 GPH per inch of weir, keeping in mind that any less means you may get just a trickle but too much and you can overflow your waterfall box. I have a 1200GPH pump with about 3-4' of head on a 8" wide waterfall weir, and that's about right to make the waterfall look decent but it could certainly be stronger. The deeper/bigger you make your waterfall box, the less likely your pump will overflow it. Mine has a 6x6x8" box and it's never overflowed and it is rated by the maker as max 950GPH. It's the drop from the top of the box to the top of the weir that matters. Mine is like 2". If I were building my own, I'd make that at least 3" and probably make the whole box deeper as well. Like I said, it hasn't overflowed, but then the waterfall isn't particularly impressive either. I don't see why you could not just use my inch ratios for you cm waterfall box. If you have a 8cm weir, then a 6x6x8cm box should suffice, keeping in mind your pump needs to be pushing a minimum of 300-350GPH to feed your 8cm (3.14") weir. I'd probably go with a 500GPH pump, personally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A waterfall weir needs to match the size of your pump, plus the head. A good place to start is the general rule that your pump needs to push 100 gallons per hour for every inch wide the waterfall weir is, plus any head height, but most pumps will cover up to 5' head and yours is minimal, so just go by the 100 GPH per inch of weir, keeping in mind that any less means you may get just a trickle but too much and you can overflow your waterfall box. I have a 1200GPH pump with about 3-4' of head on a 8" wide waterfall weir, and that's about right to make the waterfall look decent but it could certainly be stronger. The deeper/bigger you make your waterfall box, the less likely your pump will overflow it. Mine has a 6x6x8" box and it's never overflowed and it is rated by the maker as max 950GPH. It's the drop from the top of the box to the top of the weir that matters. Mine is like 2". If I were building my own, I'd make that at least 3" and probably make the whole box deeper as well. Like I said, it hasn't overflowed, but then the waterfall isn't particularly impressive either. I don't see why you could not just use my inch ratios for you cm waterfall box. If you have a 8cm weir, then a 6x6x8cm box should suffice, keeping in mind your pump needs to be pushing a minimum of 300-350GPH to feed your 8cm (3.14") weir. I'd probably go with a 500GPH pump, personally.
Wow, great! Thanks for the info, will certainly let the other half read it. We made a plastic version (not ideal) and it certainly doesn't work too well (not the cascading effect i was hoping for anyway). The position of the water inlet forces the water against the inside edge of the lip, causing the surge. By the time it reaches the edge, well, it's a waterfall (just not cascading) :ROFLMAO: I did have a video of it in flow, but can't seem to find it now.
IMG_20200421_194151.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
We made a plastic version (not ideal) and it certainly doesn't work too well (not the cascading effect i was hoping for anyway). The position of the water inlet forces the water against the inside edge of the lip, causing the surge. By the time it reaches the edge, well, it's a waterfall (just not cascading) :ROFLMAO: I did have a video of it in flow, but can't seem to find it now.

To fix the flow issue, make it deeper, and place the inlet at the very bottom of the box, that way the flow is indirect to the weir. It will probably have to be at least twice that deep to not have the water forced over the weir by the flow if the inlet is in the back. I'd make it deeper than that. You could also try putting the inlet in the very bottom, pumping up instead of across. That white plastic is going to be brown and green real fast if it's in any sun and cleaning a waterfall box isn't easy since they are usually built into stuff. If you're going to remake it, I'd try to find black plastic as it's a little more forgiving when it comes to keeping it clean.

Ask a Question