Barrel Pond

Reaction score
Here's my barrel pond just set up for the 2nd year.

We're still getting temps in the 30's here, but things are going pretty well. 2 goldfish were wintering in the house, but are now back in and the grass plant made it buried in the snow over winter.

New additions this year are the solid plastic liners to replace the fabric liner I used last year that was ugly & leaked. I also put in the cast iron pump head in the back as a fountain.

View attachment 550

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 531
Reaction score
I got them pretty cheap online at pondprostore.com.

Had a really great experience with them. Fair price on shipping and very fast delivery.

I'm very happy with the solid liners this year. The flex liner worked OK for a few months last year, but the last few months of the summer I was constantly dealing with leaks. Also the edge of the liner kept coming apart from the barrel with the staples I put in so it started looking very ugly.

This setup is worry-free and much better looking. It fits the 1/2 barrels perfectly.

I estimate the total capacity to be about 60 gallons. I'm pretty happy with it. We have little ones in the house, so I did not want to dig a pond in the ground for safety reasons. The barrel pond is a nice compromise I think. I have a small pump in the bottom barrel that intakes through a small commercial filter setup I bought. Water is always perfect, and the fish,, snails & plants are very happy (once the temp warms up).

-Pat S.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Those are cool liners, where did you get them?

You can also get them at lowes. Good looking barrel ponds. I tried the barrel thing, and just couldnt get it to look right.

Ask a Question