Basic Waterfall Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I will be adding a waterfall to my pond. Have started to move dirt and decided that a 20-24 inch spillway would look great. I am using the rule of thumb 100 GPH per inch of spillway. After calculating head pressure (10 feet) I know that my 5200 GPH pump will do the job as per specs it would pump about 3200 GPH

Pretty much everything I read or videos I view show the liner being butted up to the edge of the spillway and after applying a bead of silicone the liner is fastened to the spillway with either a length of aluminum stock or plastic and kept in place by a series of stainless steel nuts and bolts. Of course waterfalll foam is also used to assure a watertight fit to prevent seepage under the liner.

Obviously this works as the pros have been doing this for years.

So My question is as follows;

I will be making a "home made' reservoir/spillway out of a heavy duty plastic storage container which will be set into a depression at the top of the falls. Rather than abutting the liner to the spillway and adhering with silicone and a bracket wouldn't it be more "leakproof" if I were to simply run the liner into the depression in the front, sides and up the back and place container on top of the liner? After that I would place the large side stones and a flat stone across the spillway and proceed with the foam.

My thought is that this would absolutely assure I lose no water under the liner. Any small amount that bypasses the spillway will be contained by the liner. NO WATER LOSS.

I realize the store bought filter/spillway units utilize the liner being fastened to the spillway via silicone and bracket but I would think my method is a better option.

Yes, I would need an additional 5 feet or so of liner but so what.

Am I missing something here ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Of course waterfalll foam is also used to assure a watertight fit
The last thing you want to use is waterfall foam. it is not water proof , it is only made to divert water where you want the majority of the water to go. A polyurethane or silicone caulking are most popular

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will be making a "home made' reservoir/spillway out of a heavy duty plastic storage container which will be set into a depression at the top of the falls. Rather than abutting the liner to the spillway and adhering with silicone and a bracket wouldn't it be more "leakproof" if I were to simply run the liner into the depression in the front, sides and up the back and place container on top of the liner? After that I would place the large side stones and a flat stone across the spillway and proceed with the foam.
if you place the return/ supply line to the waterfall and you make a deep area like 24 inches have the water face the bottom or even a side the flow will get defused and the water will overflow evenly what ever you create for it . and this eliminates the need for hard plastic diffusers
After that I would place the large side stones and a flat stone across the spillway and proceed with the foam.
What many error on is that the spill way be set back and the character stones are to each side but in front so the splash cant get out to the sides

placing the biofalls within the liner is not a bad idea at all you just need to work the feed over the edge or a bulked . but a bulked will require a check valve and or ball valve and syphon breaker

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
My question was so longwinded that I believe it confused the above respondants.

Put simply;

is there a downside to placing the liner under my waterfall reservoir as opposed to just fastening it to the front of the spillway as i see most folks do?

My proposed method would prevent any leakage as the entire reservoir/spillway are contained inside the liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My question was so longwinded that I believe it confused the above respondants.

Put simply;

is there a downside to placing the liner under my waterfall reservoir as opposed to just fastening it to the front of the spillway as i see most folks do?

My proposed method would prevent any leakage as the entire reservoir/spillway are contained inside the liner.
I put mine under my whole waterfall set up so as to make it as safe as possible w/o leaks............................hopefully!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I put mine under my whole waterfall set up so as to make it as safe as possible w/o leaks............................hopefully!
I appreciate your input.

So I am not crazy.

Not sure why most just attach liner at front. It works but IMHO it's a leak waiting to happen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it will work very easily if you let the liner go wide around the spillway you can collet more of the splash zone

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
It sounds like putting the biofalls inside the liner would be a good way to prevent leaks. But it that case, why bother with a biofalls at all?

You could just dig a biofalls-sized hole, run the hose to the bottom of it, and fill with river rock to create a wetland filter. Then you wouldn't need to worry about the whole issue of attaching the liner or whatever. You'd have the flexibility to style the outflow however you like!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like putting the biofalls inside the liner would be a good way to prevent leaks. But it that case, why bother with a biofalls at all?

You could just dig a biofalls-sized hole, run the hose to the bottom of it, and fill with river rock to create a wetland filter. Then you wouldn't need to worry about the whole issue of attaching the liner or whatever. You'd have the flexibility to style the outflow however you like!
And save yourself a lot of money!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
And save yourself a lot of money!
Good points.

I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for a so called biofalls/filter. I will be using a simple $10 storage container from Lowes.

The main reason I am using a container is that I can run the 2 in hose through a bulkhead fitting at the top and direct the water downward. I have cut down the front of the container so the water will flow out below the level of the fitting to minimize chance of leakage. I know they work but I just do not feel comfortable running the hose through the liner at the bottom, even if I use proven fittings. The container will be filled with bioballs in a net bag.

20240126_095211.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good points.

I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for a so called biofalls/filter. I will be using a simple $10 storage container from Lowes.

The main reason I am using a container is that I can run the 2 in hose through a bulkhead fitting at the top and direct the water downward. I have cut down the front of the container so the water will flow out below the level of the fitting to minimize chance of leakage. I know they work but I just do not feel comfortable running the hose through the liner at the bottom, even if I use proven fittings. The container will be filled with bioballs in a net bag.

View attachment 161887
You may want to watch some youtube videos from Ozponds, he does a lot of diy features rather than buying the expensive equipment. Not sure if he specifically has done what you are doing but worth checking out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
You may want to watch some youtube videos from Ozponds, he does a lot of diy features rather than buying the expensive equipment. Not sure if he specifically has done what you are doing but worth checking out.
Thanks for the info, Pablo.

I'll check it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just be careful in your selection as a guy who been in construction 45 years and has probably bought close to every item at the depot or Lowes a lot of those containers get very brittle in a short time.
Now Rubbermaid being an exception.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Just be careful in your selection as a guy who been in construction 45 years and has probably bought close to every item at the depot or Lowes a lot of those containers get very brittle in a short time.
Now Rubbermaid being an exception.
Good point. I'll make sure it is heavy duty.

Ask a Question