Before I lose all my fish - !

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All accounted for - Including the wobbly sick one. So, maybe ammonia cycle broken? Had hoped adding the bio-media would have helped boost that . . . Maybe should change more water again despite the above advice? Wish I could have gotten to a shop on way home but have to get horses (colt in stall) fed and cleaned etc first. May go back out tonight after if store is still open and get that test kit -
:- (

Foam is not caused by Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. Foam is organic and is typically a sign of these various organics being at elevated levels in a pond. Often seen after a spawn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
All accounted for - Including the wobbly sick one. So, maybe ammonia cycle broken? Had hoped adding the bio-media would have helped boost that . . . Maybe should change more water again despite the above advice? ...

Every time you change the water, you are altering the water chemistry and I think your fish need stability, not further unknown changes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Foam is not caused by Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. Foam is organic and is typically a sign of these various organics being at elevated levels in a pond. Often seen after a spawn.
OK - Strange. It's a 30 g plastic water tub. Some gravel and rocks (less than half of tub bottom covered with them) - Maybe the rosies are spawning in the rock caves? (That's why there are rocks in there, because the rosies cycled the tank and I gave them nest sites while cycling for the subunkins). Maybe I should remove the rosies now that I have the shubunkins in there. . .Maybe I should just do nothing and wait and see what happens . . .Ugh I don't know. :- (

btw The little 5 gal rosy tank is same setup but with carbon filter -same rocks, gravel, water. They are tough fish anyway but they are all fine.
Maybe the 'pond' could use a carbon filter. . . .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: I netted out the sickest one out and put him in a bucket with water from the pond.

Shubunkins shouldn't hide all the time, they're off feed, am expecting to lose all anyway. The fuzzy white face spots must be opportunistic infection. Went against advice and did another large water change. Then did a small one on the bucket with the sick fish.

Oddly, an hour or so later I see a lot more activity in the pond. I drop in a few flakes and everyone comes out and starts going after the food for the first time in days. That's a good sign. Still some rubbing/scratching going on, some rushing. The sickest fish is again sitting on bottom (this time of bucket). So we'll see. It sure was good to see the pond fish acting like normal fish again, even if it doesn't last - The bucket fish may be too far gone no matter what I do.

I'm thinking columnaris from having a broken or insufficient cycle before adding (too many) fish and not enough/not large enough water changes early (first three days of adding fish). Yes, keeper error.

Will look for meds tomorrow - Maybe I can also set up sickest fish in sep tub with bubbler to treat - if he's still with us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi , why ur not giving them any antibacterial and antifungul meds ?

remove the minows and healthy fish , disconnect ur filter and add aerator or direct pump then treat ur pond with pimafix . it is connected with bottom muck or leftover food and unclean water but i think they had disease in the shop , the ones which are affected more are very hard to treat but u can control .

i have many small shubunkens of 2 inch larger in similar sized outdoor aquarium without any filter just plants and gravel they never had issue , also had chicklets in past without any disease . may b ur filter is not culprit

if u notice there swimming pattern is b tiresome and more like dolphin whole body is moving not fluent ?

the foam ur seeing i assume is produced by sick fish if u notice they come at surface for air and produce these bubbles or it could be some thing rotting may b food,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Update: I netted out the sickest one out and put him in a bucket with water from the pond.

Shubunkins shouldn't hide all the time, they're off feed, am expecting to lose all anyway. The fuzzy white face spots must be opportunistic infection. Went against advice and did another large water change. Then did a small one on the bucket with the sick fish.

Oddly, an hour or so later I see a lot more activity in the pond. I drop in a few flakes and everyone comes out and starts going after the food for the first time in days. That's a good sign. Still some rubbing/scratching going on, some rushing. The sickest fish is again sitting on bottom (this time of bucket). So we'll see. It sure was good to see the pond fish acting like normal fish again, even if it doesn't last - The bucket fish may be too far gone no matter what I do.

I'm thinking columnaris from having a broken or insufficient cycle before adding (too many) fish and not enough/not large enough water changes early (first three days of adding fish). Yes, keeper error.

Will look for meds tomorrow - Maybe I can also set up sickest fish in sep tub with bubbler to treat - if he's still with us.

Fuzzy white spots? It's ich? Pictures please. Are they on the fins?

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi , why ur not giving them any antibacterial and antifungul meds ?

remove the minows and healthy fish , disconnect ur filter and add aerator or direct pump then treat ur pond with pimafix . it is connected with bottom muck or leftover food and unclean water but i think they had disease in the shop , the ones which are affected more are very hard to treat but u can control .

i have many small shubunkens of 2 inch larger in similar sized outdoor aquarium without any filter just plants and gravel they never had issue , also had chicklets in past without any disease . may b ur filter is not culprit

if u notice there swimming pattern is b tiresome and more like dolphin whole body is moving not fluent ?

the foam ur seeing i assume is produced by sick fish if u notice they come at surface for air and produce these bubbles or it could be some thing rotting may b food,
H thank you so very much - I hadn't been treating because I posted asking for advice and no one recommended treatment, or suggested what kind of treatment. Let me google where I can find pimafix, right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I would call a fuzzy white growth on the mouth as mouth fungus. Are you sure it is not carp pox?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not all foam is a warning I get air foam up near my waterfall because of the spitter and the airstone in the waterfall plus a spitter .Nothing on the bottom since I net it often and all water tests good .Every year it
101_0363.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
not all foam is a warning I get air foam up near my waterfall because of the spitter and the airstone in the waterfall plus a spitter .Nothing on the bottom since I net it often and all water tests good .Every year it View attachment 99601

Foam is caused by what (organics) is dissolved in the water, not what may or may not be at the bottom of a pond. While present a some level in the water of all aquatic habitats, only at high levels will foam be produced.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I have never had a change in any of my tests and never lost a fish ,well except for the one the cat got .Mine if you move it or put your hands in it just bursts apart and goes away .It congregates where ever my airstones are located

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well I have never had a change in any of my tests and never lost a fish

Dissolved organics do not show up in typical pond water quality tests. At typically experienced levels there is no danger of losing any fish. This is a normal part of their natural environment. But like most other things, a level too high can be problematic.

Ask a Question