Bigger pond

Reaction score
Just a a couple months ago I had a 55gallon pond with 3 2" koi fish... Just 3 weeks ago I decided to up grade to a 550-600 gallon pond... I know it's a small pond for koi. My question is what's a good size pond for koi... Something that is not too big but will keep my koi happy. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 261
Reaction score
Welcome, Have you installed your new pond? I dont think you would want to give up your fish when they get too large for your new pond. Let me look up the formula from the book that Dave recommends. "120cm squared of surface area per cm of fish lenght minus tail,. or 48inches squared per inch of fish Aeration is very important." Another book I also just got " Koi need space to swim they can do OK in 2 feet depth but as they g row larger deeper makes then happier up to 5 feet.. 1 inch of fish for a gallon of water. or 1 inch of fish for each 6 to 12 inches of surface. Double that for koi." My rule is Do the best that you can afford. If you can go larger later go larger than you think you want.
The Manual of Fish Health by Dr. Chris Andrew et.al.. and
Backyard Water Gardens, How to Build, plant & maintain ponds etc. by Veronica Lorson Fowler

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think a general rule of thumb is 1000 gallon minimum for koi and 500 gallons for each additional koi. So I took that as 1500 gallons for 2 koi. Also have heard they need at least 3 feet deep and 8 feet width for proper exercise. But the amount of filtration and frequency of cleaning can make those numbers vary.

Reaction score
Well it depends on a lot of things. What is the weather like where you are located? I agree 1000 gallons should be a minimum size pond for full grown Koi. Obviously, his 3" fish dont need the room now, but they will in a couple years. I frequently hear each fish should be given 300 gallons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep like said weather effects pond also and so does the kind of filter and remember your fish will have babies .Koi produce a lot of waste and the bigger they are the more waste they produce .I have about 4000 gallon pond with 2 filters

Ask a Question