Biological filter question

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
@cas All our filters have lids to them and thus all filter and bacteria are in the dark and as such are as @Meyer Jordan suggests "photo-neutral",
if thats any help to you at all
But I'm rather a tad confused with your filter media I'm afraid ?
When you say aqascope bioballs dont you mean Aquaone bio balls or Aquapond bioballs as I've never come across aquascope bioballs before but use the Aquaone/pond bioballs along with K1m filter media and Bio chips .

Dave
AQUASCAPE is correct. he has an "Aquascape" bio falls (waterfall filter) and he's using pieces of filter mat. aquascape are a popular pond...many Aquascape contractors out there. atleast here in the states.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
AQUASCAPE is correct. he has an "Aquascape" bio falls (waterfall filter) and he's using pieces of filter mat. aquascape are a popular pond...many Aquascape contractors out there. atleast here in the states.

Aquascape is popular in Canada as well. I use their products extensively (pumps, pressure filters, waterfall filters, weirs, etc.).

Bio-Balls are a decent product, they're spherical with a large surface area and are generally packed into mesh bags for bacterial growth. They're also used in the pressure filters. Tetra, at least a couple of years back, used a pressure filter media that was inferior, in that it tended to disintegrate over time and the shards of the media would become trapped in lines. Any Tetra pressure filters that I encounter, I remove the existing media and replace with Bio-Balls.

For myself, who has used waterfall filters large enough to sleep in, find that the Bio-Balls (while "expensive") are a better product for waterfall filters than lava rock in that they're much easier to move and to clean. Thoughts may differ on this, however all of my large ponds (30,000 gallons plus) are now equipped with Bio-Balls in the waterfall filters, in addition to the bead filters.

Ask a Question