Black Moor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Anyone keep black moors? Mainly in areas where the water freezes in the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two in aquariums in the house. Tried an experiment this past winter with some fancy goldies in their own pond. Had it covered and heated to keep water above freezing (lowest temperature reading was 43 degrees) the telescope eye (moor) had to be brought back inside during the cold winter. I actually thought he was dead but once I got him inside with a little time and TCL he got better. He won't be going back out. I have some young Oranda out there and they have done well. So I guess it just depends on the fish . Although depending on the pond and other types of fish I would worry about telescope having their eyes injured or even lost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have one and it's about 6 yrs old and 6-7 inches long. Planning to get two more this year. I don't think they are any harder to raise in ponds than the other GF

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I have one and it's about 6 yrs old and 6-7 inches long. Planning to get two more this year. I don't think they are any harder to raise in ponds than the other GF
I tried one some years back but I never saw it after winter. I would like to try again but if it is widely inadvisable or not doable, I would refrain

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried one some years back but I never saw it after winter. I would like to try again but if it is widely inadvisable or not doable, I would refrain
Sometimes, the only way you will know for sure is to try it. All ponds are different, as we always say. IMHO, I wouldn’t do it, but that’s just me. If you try it, though, please don’t go into it with the thought that the fish are expendable....an experiment. Do you have an indoor tank — someplace you could move the fish to if it ends up not working out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Sometimes, the only way you will know for sure is to try it. All ponds are different, as we always say. IMHO, I wouldn’t do it, but that’s just me. If you try it, though, please don’t go into it with the thought that the fish are expendable....an experiment. Do you have an indoor tank — someplace you could move the fish to if it ends up not working out?
I totally understand and that is why I posed the question. No I don't keep indoor fresh water fish anymore. I keep salt water reef tank type of fish and have since 03'. I was hoping that more people have kept them outdoors, especially in the 'colder' regions. I am not sure to the hardiness of the Black Moor or even some of the fancier goldfish. I have a shubunkin, comets and Koi. All of which are widely used in the outdoor pond environment. Oranadas, Black Moors, etc seem not to be used frequently and perhaps that is why.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Some people have had a lot of success with fancy goldfish in ponds, but I imagine those people don't have a lot of drastic temperature fluctuations. From what I have seen from MOST of the people that have tried fancy goldfish in a pond environment is that they don't do to well with colder weather. They already have a tendency for swim bladder issues and the colder weather seems to exacerbate things. BUT like @Mmathis said, "all ponds are different" and your experience might be an exception to the norm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I keep 1 moor outside (it's now one eyed cause of a predator) and survived nicely in the pond. It's not completely black though so technically not a moor to the letter. I no longer keep black fish if I can cause I cant see them in the pond well.

I keep 2 telescopes outside that are single tailed. They are fine as well.

Moors do as well as other goldfish outside as long as they don't get air bladder problems. Temperature fluctuations and early dry food feeding will cause swim bladder problems to pop in spring. If you keep a trough heater then the change of temperature from day to night wont bother them much. More than 50% of my fish are fancy goldfish including: Telescopes, orandas, ryukins, ranchus, and lionheads. I even have one bubble eye and has been with me outside for 2 years. My worst experiences have been with pearlscales and some of short bodied orandas.

Water quality and the fish breeder is that you got the fish from is the key for them to work out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine has been in my garden pond for a few years now including one very cold winter where it was frozen over more than usual.
I was told not to put him in there. At one time I would take all my fish inside before the cold weather and he would perk up until they went back in the pond and he would look depressed. So the next time they went back in the pond he wouldn’t get out of the net, so in he went with them. After that I left them all in there over the winter and he’s fared better than my other fish.

Ask a Question