Koi black scale

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Faimutt, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Faimutt

Faimutt

Can anyone give me some advice what symptom this koi have, my mum found laying on its side thinking it was dead but found out it was still alive. I have been using myaxzin fin rot 650ml for a week but dont think it working?

https://giphy.com/gifs/yNZhupDnKkN0Xr2jCz

Faimutt, Jun 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Faimutt

ShawnInfirmity

Do you have a liquid/drop based test kit that you can use and post the results from the pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates (OR phosphate if it's the pond master)? That's the very first thing you should do because MOST (not all) fish disease or illness is caused by poor water quality. Most of the members here use the API freshwater (or pond) master test kits to test our pond water and you can find them at most aquarium retailers or online pretty readily.

https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWAT...pID=51FQhbpfB0L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch OR
    https://www.amazon.com/API-POND-MAS...id=1528721392&sr=1-1&keywords=api+pond+master

ShawnInfirmity, Jun 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Faimutt

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Hello and welcome. I’m sorry, but I can’t tell anything from the video. You didn’t say what was wrong with the fish, other than it was found outside the pond. You asked us to give you the symptoms, but this (symptoms) is the information that YOU should be giving us — not the other way around. How is the fish acting, what does it look like (injuries?), and why have you been treating it with a “fin rot” medication?

Almost looks like a goldfish, though.

Tell us more about your pond. What size is it? How many and what size fish do you have? How long has this pond been set up? What kind of filtration system do you have going? Have the other fish been acting different? Do you have predators?

And yes, please give us results of water parameter testing — the actual numbers, though, not just that “the results were OK.” We can tell more about your pond when we know those numbers. But we can’t tell anything at all without more information from you!

Mmathis, Jun 11, 2018
  4. Faimutt

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jun 11, 2018
  5. Faimutt

qclabrat

hi @Faimutt, welcome to GPF
    In addition to the water test results, tell us a liitle about your pond.
    Size, how many fish, how long been running, plants? filtration?

qclabrat, Jun 11, 2018
  6. Faimutt

MitchM

Agree with everyone else here.
    We need much more information about the conditions in general.
    You have some water foam sticking around so I'd say you've already got some filtration issues.

MitchM, Jun 11, 2018
    qclabrat likes this.
  7. Faimutt

Faimutt

Sorry didn't know there were so many replies.

I purchased Api freshwater master kit yesterday hoping it get to me tomorrow or Thursday to test the water

The support team where I got the pond filter suggested to get fin rot because one of the fish caudal fin wasn't moving.

The filter pump covered with a lot parasite due to uv bulb broken which I replaced and clean but pond has a lot algae which I am trying to get rid of

Pressurised Pond Filter PFC-12000 and AQUAECO-10000 Pond Pump Complete Pond System PFC-12000-KIT

3m x 2m pond size
    Pond liner was placed like 10 years I think
    Currently 9 fish
    2 koi around 40cm (been here since 90s)
    3 other 25cm
    4 small fish

Attached Files:

Faimutt, Jun 12, 2018
  8. Faimutt

Faimutt

Pond test result indicates 7.6

Attached Files:

Faimutt, Jun 14, 2018
  9. Faimutt

ShawnInfirmity

@Faimutt I would also test the high range pH and you might get a different number. I did that after my pH test always said it was 7.6 but when I did the high range test it actually came back at around 8.2-8.3 depending on variables.

ShawnInfirmity, Jun 14, 2018
    Faimutt and Mmathis like this.
  10. Faimutt

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Agree with @ShawnInfirmity. I have to test my water with the hi-range solution.

Mmathis, Jun 14, 2018
  11. Faimutt

Faimutt

I just did 2 test, what does result indicate?

Attached Files:

Faimutt, Jun 15, 2018
  12. Faimutt

ShawnInfirmity

I’ve had a similar result before and the best I could guess was somewhere around 8.2-8.4? I suppose you could shoot for the middle and say 8.3.

ShawnInfirmity, Jun 15, 2018
  13. Faimutt

Faimutt

Not sure if the fish got worse but the fish rot didn't work, found something regard to ammonia and did some test.

Currently at 0-0.25ppm as well did other nitrate testing, I have change half of the water... Is there anything that can help this fish? I read a site regard to fish laying on the bottom mention it won't last very long :'(

Attached Files:

Faimutt, Jun 18, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question