Blackwater themed aquarium

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, ill be sure to send a pm next month or so.. maybe 2 months from now, idk really :p
When I move into the house I plan on getting just a small (ik bigger is better but, the difficulty of a nano is what drags me into that) fluval evo (echo?) tank which I think is ten gallons or so. And has a decent price for a sw tank, after doing shopping research for a tank I find that SW tanks are way cheaper (depending on brand) than fw? thought that was mind blowing to me!
But yes ill def. send a pm or something, whenever I start it. Im on ReefSanctuary so they helped a bit, didn't exactly answer much of my questions but that's what deep end research is for right? lol.
Thanks again
Nate

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks, ill be sure to send a pm next month or so.. maybe 2 months from now, idk really :p
When I move into the house I plan on getting just a small (ik bigger is better but, the difficulty of a nano is what drags me into that) fluval evo (echo?) tank which I think is ten gallons or so. And has a decent price for a sw tank, after doing shopping research for a tank I find that SW tanks are way cheaper (depending on brand) than fw? thought that was mind blowing to me!
But yes ill def. send a pm or something, whenever I start it. Im on ReefSanctuary so they helped a bit, didn't exactly answer much of my questions but that's what deep end research is for right? lol.
Thanks again
Nate

No problem.
You can even start a separate thread on this forum. There are other people here with salt water tanks.
Nano tanks are difficult though because of alk swings which certain corals really do not like.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A SW pond...
Now how about that... Match's the forum lol

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Idk about all the specifics I was just free styling idea's straight from the mind lol. I have seen some SW ponds though... Pretty neat if done right, not me though not even I could afford that bill :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No picture updates because I haven't done anything else to the tank.
I'm having a hard time trying to find out how people deal with excess nutrients in a tank such as this.
I'm part of a FB group that is supposedly dedicated to blackwater biotopes, but they only want to see visual representations of a biotope, not participate in a discussion of what the long term results will be in such a setup.

So for now, until I can figure it out myself, it's in a maintenance mode where I'll let the aquarium tell me what it needs. I''ll be watching for any outbreaks of algae or cyanobacteria and monitoring N and P levels.
Humic substances are apparently anti algae and antibacterial, so it will be interesting.

Right now I have 6 angelfish and 5 otocinclus in there that I'm feeding.
An Aponogeton ulvaceus has popped up from the old substrate I had in there. (So much for a south american biotope). Some java moss is also starting to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was at one of my favourite LFS today and picked up an Eleocharis acicularis and Glossostigma elatinoides.
I chose Eleocharis acicularis because it is South American and a low height growing plant.
I chose Glossostigma elatinoides because although native to Australia, it is a plant known for it's nitrate uptake.

Eleocharis acicularis (the grass growing on the substrate)
Eleocharis-acicularis.jpg

Glossostigma elatinoides

Glossostoigma-elatinoides-25.jpg

So I guess I'm going to have a blackwater themed aquarium that does not have the typical sand and decaying-leaf -matter-only-substrate, but I want an aquarium that will be a healthy ecosystem over the long run.
I expect that the corydoras adolfoi that I will be adding will find this substrate/plant base an acceptable breeding ground.

The almond leaves have been decaying the fastest. You can see the leaf skeletons only, after about 4 weeks in the aquarium. I'll be searching online for a bulk supplier for replacement almond leaves.
I spent the whole day in Calgary today so I'm pooped. I'll do some water tests tomorrow.
IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

The white rocks you see are from the ADA aqua soil package. I suspect they are pieces of zeolite and I'll just be pushing them down into the substrate, out of view.

Enjoying this setup so far.(y)

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
if you are growing glosso & dhg you generally need pressurized Co2, and a heavy macro micro fert regime.Glosso also usually requires high lighting which the tannins disrupt. I wish you good luck on your high to low tech journey with them!
p.s. (Important) get those chunks you put in there of the plants and carefully split them into about 6 plantlets. They wont grow as well in chunks as they will individual plants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You could be right, DutchMuch.
I already have a 60 lb Co2 canister, regulator and some ceramic diffusers from Greenleaf ready to go if needed.
I've already done the co2, fert route plus a Walstad tank with this 600g.
I think I have enough decaying organic matter that will provide the CO2.
I'll just have to stay on top of the O2 levels.

For lighting, I have 2 ATI hybrid LED/T5 on low power for now.

We'll see.(y)

Ask a Question